FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Register Register 
The Honourable Souls
A Social Linkshell on FairySylph (FFXI) & Mysidia Ragnarok (FFXIV) 
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » News » New Expansion: Seekers of Adoulin
  The time now is Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:44 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: New Expansion: Seekers of Adoulin  Reply with quote  

Koiji
Paragon of Pirate Excellence

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/adoulin/

Including two new jobs: Geomancer and Rune Fencer

TOP View user's profileSend private message  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Dunador
Chuck Norris Wannabe

what?
GW2 - Retired: Dunador Serestil - Mesmer - Maguuma
Steam Handle: Dunador (Profile Link)

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

Dunador wrote:

what?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
`·.,¸,.·*¯`·.,¸,.·*¯[;::;‹]ᵒᴥᵒ­­­­­­­­­­­­)›

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Dunador
Chuck Norris Wannabe

Beyond the initial "What the.....what.....why?" Here's my thoughts:

First off, the video didn't really give much that isn't said on that page. We were shown places that look like the Jungles (Yuhtunga/Yhoator), and a Desert/beach area (Valkurm). A city that looks very much like San D'Oria, except perhaps less royal, more village'ish. Two new jobs, that, from off the top of my head, already exist in some form in the game, will just likely be reworks of different abilities.

The only plus side, from my point of view, is SE's strange ability to always bring out a good story in a game.

Thoughts on the jobs:

Rune Fencer: Red Mage. A more melee-combat focused Red Mage.

Geomancer: I don't even know here. Like...Black Mage, mixed in with a few of the buffing abilities of a white mage? So....a casting-style Red mage? =/

I'm gonna play the part of negative nancy here and say this doesn't look too unique/promising. And also, why?

/slightrant

When was the last expansion? Full on Expansion, it was Wings wasn't it? Which came, what, sometime around 2008, right? So nearly 4 years now? They've been holding out strong with their DLC/Addon packs for 4 years. Why are we seeing a full expansion now? Is it like a big marketing plan to try and get press coverage, and thus older-retired members to come back?

Problem with that plan, is the game isnt the same as people remember it. Craps changed, by a lot. .....eh, I got nothing else.

/endrant.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Koiji

I read through some translations of the actual unveiling of the jobs, and they sound something like this:

GEO: Hybrid buffer and elemental DD; buffs are AOE centered around a point on the ground (in their example, the GEO could put up refresh by the mages, and a melee could run and stand by the mages at any time and get some refresh, then run back to the front line and get the melee buffs); elemental damage has different added effects depending on what direction the GEO is standing in relation to the mob, e.g., standing north of the mob grants a magic accuracy boost.

RUN: Going to be a mage-y tank; don't really know about the mechanics, though it's putting up some sort of rune buff in the concept art.

As for the expansion itself, some people have pointed out that Abyssea represented something to do while the level cap was being raised to 99. But now that it's 99, players need a lot of content geared towards the new cap. If you think about how much stuff there was to do at 75, SE needs to come up with an analogous set of activities for 99. So people are hoping that this expansion, in addition to a hopefully great story, will include 3-4 new events.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Wumyamya
Ulmia's Soulmate

Geomancer sounds like a cross between Scholar and Summoner, IMO. Nothing to get too excited about.

I'm just kind of fascinated by the fact that they're releasing another expansion.

Wumy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Dunador
Chuck Norris Wannabe

Quote:
I'm just kind of fascinated by the fact that they're releasing another expansion.

Yea. I guess that's the general feeling I have.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

I'm kinda with Koiji. With the new level cap, the end game that was there was no longer the end game. They needed to make a new end game.

Of course, I haven't touched FFXI in years. I could be way off.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Dunador
Chuck Norris Wannabe

Nimdae wrote:
I'm kinda with Koiji. With the new level cap, the end game that was there was no longer the end game. They needed to make a new end game.

Of course, I haven't touched FFXI in years. I could be way off.

from what I understand, they've been repurposing endgame areas slowly, to become viable at the new level cap. I know Dynamis was completely redone, and I think Nyzul Isle was as well. Not sure past that though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Koiji

Dynamis, Nyzul, and Limbus have been upgraded to match the 99 cap, and most of the other activities will also be updated in the coming year, according to their latest roadmap slide. Still, I think that's a stopgap solution, since no one wants to keep doing Nyzul for years to come after it's already been out since 2007.

I just reactivated last week to play with my RL friends, and we're having a blast. Not sure if it's cause the game's better, or if it's fun seeing some of my friends play through it for the first time, but you can approach XPing much more casually now. We also just discovered killing skeletons in Gusgen for 20k/hour at level 20.

End game still sounds less than ideal, with crazy alliance grinding to upgrade gear, but it seems the trip from 1 to 99 is a lot more fun now. My main goal is to have everyone play through the storyline missions, and not worry so much about getting uber gear. Plus, you can just buy stuff like this on the AH now: http://www.ffxiah.com/item/10453/praeco-doublet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Tenshi
Torama Taunter

I don't know if anyone else noticed this but on the page at the bottom it said something i found interesting.
Supported Systems Windows® Xbox 360®
It does not say playstation 2 I wonder if its an oversight or they are dropping support.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Koiji

The JP site lists PS2, so it's either a mistake, or they won't print PS2 discs in the US.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

Tenshi wrote:
I don't know if anyone else noticed this but on the page at the bottom it said something i found interesting.
Supported Systems Windows® Xbox 360®
It does not say playstation 2 I wonder if its an oversight or they are dropping support.

I noticed this as well. I assumed it was an oversight.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

Koiji wrote:
Dynamis, Nyzul, and Limbus have been upgraded to match the 99 cap, and most of the other activities will also be updated in the coming year, according to their latest roadmap slide. Still, I think that's a stopgap solution, since no one wants to keep doing Nyzul for years to come after it's already been out since 2007.

I just reactivated last week to play with my RL friends, and we're having a blast. Not sure if it's cause the game's better, or if it's fun seeing some of my friends play through it for the first time, but you can approach XPing much more casually now. We also just discovered killing skeletons in Gusgen for 20k/hour at level 20.

End game still sounds less than ideal, with crazy alliance grinding to upgrade gear, but it seems the trip from 1 to 99 is a lot more fun now. My main goal is to have everyone play through the storyline missions, and not worry so much about getting uber gear. Plus, you can just buy stuff like this on the AH now: http://www.ffxiah.com/item/10453/praeco-doublet

Me, doc, and a few others had a static going some years ago. We got to around 60 before we started going our separate ways in the game. We tended to avoid the common areas for xp grinding. We fought elementals and NMs we shouldn't have been able to based on what the community would say (IT elementals, NMs that spanwed on our XP farm, etc). We used strategies that included skillchains. I was playing BLM at the time. Not only would we skillchain, we would magic burst...including our NIN. Also, I didn't MB with my regular spells, I used AMs. Our puller was pulling new mobs for chaining before our current was dead before the concept really caught on because we were killing things so fast. I think someone in the group ran a parser but I don't remember what the XP/hr was. It was pretty intense, nonetheless...and fun.

This is the best way to experience FFXI, and really, any MMO. I really viewed it as kind of a poker night kind of thing since we only did this like once a week (Sunday, if I recall correctly).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Dunador
Chuck Norris Wannabe

I think I remember said static Nimdae. I think I filled in a few nights. Was good times, for sure.

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » News » New Expansion: Seekers of Adoulin
 Page 1 of 1