FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Register Register 
The Honourable Souls
A Social Linkshell on FairySylph (FFXI) & Mysidia Ragnarok (FFXIV) 
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Rants » Welcome to the Texas Winter Wonderland
 Goto page 1, 2  Next The time now is Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:14 am 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Welcome to the Texas Winter Wonderland  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

When it snows/ices in Texas, it pretty much causes a bit of a lockdown because we don't really have the equipment/infrastructure to deal with it since it happens so rarely. We have sand trucks and a bit of sand, but that's about it. No plows. No huge stockpiles of sand.

For the past week we've been well below freezing and dealing with icy conditions. Today, there's approximately 6" of snow on the ground and more snow is coming. I've been working from home all week. If it wasn't for telecommuting, I probably would not be making money right now.

We will be back above freezing for the first time in almost a week tomorrow.

Last year it snowed 3 times, including in the spring.

Seriously, who moved Texas north?

Related:
Lets build a snowman, we can make him our best friend. We can name him Bob or we can name him Beowulf! We can make him tall or we can make him not so tall. Snowman!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
`ท.,ธ,.ท*ฏ`ท.,ธ,.ท*ฏ[;::;‹]ᵒᴥᵒญญญญญญญญญญญญ)›

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Mayeh
Hand of Heaven

Blame the Super Bowl. Those northern teams don't want to play in your wussy sunshine and nice temperatures. Okay the game is indoors, but still don't want the players getting homesick.

A new life awaits you in the Off-world colonies! A chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!
- Blade Runner

TOP View user's profileSend private message  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Lynkara

Well since we have been sitting below 20's for the past few days you might as well send us the snow ^^ But please wait till I get my busted water pipe fixed ><

TOP   BOTTOM
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

Our lows have been single digits for the past couple days.

And yeah, the game is indoors...and heated. I'm just glad I'm not any closer to the stadium than I am (around 40 miles). My office is right next to the airport so maybe it's a good thing I've been stuck at home (traffic). I actually pass one of the hotels one of the teams is staying in on my way to and from the office.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Kade
The Duke of San d'Oria

6" and that locked you down, wow your not kidding about not prepared.

We just had 18" in one night, cuasedalot of shutdown for a day around here but alot of us were still at work 24 hrs later.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/KadeFFXI?ref=profile

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

What locked is down for a week was the ice we got on Tuesday. We still have over 1" thick ice in places...like my driveway. The weather started out wet as it rained before it started sleeting. This created thick sheets of ice everywhere.

The snow didn't come until today. I've driven in snow before and it's not too bad. However, with large sheets of thick ice in places under the snow, it's creating some really bad conditions for driving. I actually managed to get my car stuck this morning when I went to the local donut/coffee shop for caffeine and kolaches (literally blocks away). Thankfully I knew how to get it unstuck so that only lasted like 2 minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Squitt
電 話 武 士

Ohio got hit hard with Ice over a 2 day period, then at the end of day 2 we had high winds with gusts up to 50mph causing all the iced-up tree limbs to crash down into powerlines. AEP (American Electric Power) called in crews from surrounding states to assist before the storm even hit. But we only just got power back after over 2 days of using a generator for power...

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

We had a power crisis too. So many people ran their heaters that it overwhelmed the Texas grid. This is pretty much unprecedented. This is usually only a threat during the summer when people are running their air conditioners, and I don't remember ever having rolling blackouts to compensate. Yes, they were warranted, as the grid got overwhelmed to the point that some power plants shut down due to the load. We had to import electricity from Mexico until that problem could be solved.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:15 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Koiji
Paragon of Pirate Excellence

Sure glad I left Texas to move further north to a warm climate. It was a balmy 51 in Seattle today.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Lynkara

May it stay a balmy 51 or warmer ^^ I am heading up that way next month and bringing my bicycle to get in some miles while there... can I pre order no rain ^^?

TOP   BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Jarreth
Shantotto's Bodyguard

We've been below 50 maybe one day in the past few weeks. Man I love Florida Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Mayeh
Hand of Heaven

Jarreth wrote:
We've been below 50 maybe one day in the past few weeks. Man I love Florida Very Happy

Let's talk in July when it's 1000 and 700% humidity

A new life awaits you in the Off-world colonies! A chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!
- Blade Runner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Roark
Why haven't you asked for a title yet?

Sounds like heaven! =)

-R

White Mage 90 Scholar 90 Black Mage 90
Chains of Promathia- Complete
Treasures of Aht Urhgan- Complete

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

We're finally above freezing, the roads are now soaking wet with very few bad spots. People are still driving like it's below 20F.

More snow possible tomorrow though.

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Rants » Welcome to the Texas Winter Wonderland
 Page 1 of 2