FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Register Register 
The Honourable Souls
A Social Linkshell on FairySylph (FFXI) & Mysidia Ragnarok (FFXIV) 
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Technical Help » New a new desktop and looking for advice
  The time now is Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:02 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: New a new desktop and looking for advice  Reply with quote  

Cerrawan
Why haven't you asked for a title yet?

So I am going to buy a new desktop and was wondering if anyone had any recent experience with it. If anyone reccomeneds a custom build or is thier a chain that someone has any expiernce with would be appreciated.

TOP View user's profileSend private message  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Wumyamya
Ulmia's Soulmate

Don't buy Dell.

Wumy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:34 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

Custom build can be the cheapest/best bang for the buck, but can also get quite pricey. Also, you get next to no support for it if there's a problem.

Also, I'm with Wumy, avoid Dell. Also, avoid Best Buy.

I've only ever used custom builds at home. At the office, I use whatever is furnished. I've had no problems with the two HP desktops I have at my office desk.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
`·.,¸,.·*¯`·.,¸,.·*¯[;::;‹]ᵒᴥᵒ­­­­­­­­­­­­)›

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Bedbug

I'm not a computer savant, but I do know that HP can be a pretty solid desktop computer if you're not looking to custom build one. Do avoid Best Buy, they'll try to suck money out of you.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Koiji
Paragon of Pirate Excellence

Actually, all of the pre-built PCs from major manufacturers have very similar failure rates (Dell, HP/Compaq, Acer/Gateway/eMachines, Toshiba, Sony, and Asus).

If you decide to go pre-built, Best Buy has the best prices. They sell 90% of their systems at a loss on hardware, then give you the hard sell on Geek Squad warranties and services. If you just buy the box and walk away, you'll get a good deal. (From my time at Dell, Best Buy sold our computers at an average of $30-50 cheaper than we offered them on Dell.com. It was a source of a lot of friction between the companies.)

Custom-built is obviously cheaper, and the savings increase as you go towards higher end. I just built my first PC a month ago, and it was simpler than I thought it would be. It really comes down to choosing between saving some money, or having peace of mind with a simple warranty with tech support for your system.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Cerrawan

Seems to be a lot of hating on dell but my last desktop and laptop I got from them and I have 0 probglems with it. Are you guys refering to customer service, getting a lemon, etc?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Cerrawan

O here is my specs so far does anyone have any reccomendations for it?

Intel® Core™i7-930 processor(8MB L2 Cache, 2.80GHz) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English edit
MEMORY 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMs edit
VIDEO CARD ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB GDDR5 edit
HARD DRIVE 1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Wumyamya
Ulmia's Soulmate

I had a pos Dell that I ended up throwing in the dumpster and replacing with a custom built system. Constant BSoDs, replaced every single part twice, replaced unit twice, still got failures. Horrible, horrible experience.

Last year, I threw that piece of crap in the dumpster and built my own system and I couldn't be happier.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:54 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

I've seen numerous problems with consumer Dell products, but less problems with their business products. I've seen most problems with their support.

I've owned and used HPs as consumer as well as business products and actually had few reasons to contact support.

Best Buy is a bad place to shop because of their sales practices. If you are gullible enough, they will sell you everything you don't need. If you push back, they don't want to actually help you with anything.

If you are looking for fair prices, newegg is a good place to start. They do sell full systems. There is also amazon.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Ninelives
Le Fantôme de l’Forums

I had a Dell for eight years that never once had a problem with the hardware that wasn't age-related. I still have it, but had to replace it due to age and not being able to play things like XIV.

The highest rated personal PC for Consumer's Report is a Dell. I think computers are a lot like cell phone companies - you're always going to find people that swear by certain kinds, and those that hate certain kinds and will never go to it again. Personal experience tells me Dells are excellent. Numerous others tell you they're not. Personal experience tells me Sprint is excellent, while others will never go to it. The key is doing your own research. Check out CR, online reviews, etc. and make your decision based on what makes you the most comfortable.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:20 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

Ninelives wrote:
I had a Dell for eight years that never once had a problem with the hardware that wasn't age-related. I still have it, but had to replace it due to age and not being able to play things like XIV.

You can't really judge how robust a maker's hardware is based on 8 year old hardware. You can only judge how robust it WAS. Just because 8 years ago they made good hardware doesn't mean they do now. I've seen far too many consumer Dell products fail in the past couple of years to ever recommend it. I've known at least 3 people that have gone through multiple warranty repairs with no extension, with parts being replaced with known bad parts and no real fix. The machines were replaced after the warranty expired with computers of other brands and these people are happy with what they have now.

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Technical Help » New a new desktop and looking for advice
 Page 1 of 1