FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Register Register 
The Honourable Souls
A Social Linkshell on FairySylph (FFXI) & Mysidia Ragnarok (FFXIV) 
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Rants » Questioning
 Goto page 1, 2  Next The time now is Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:56 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Questioning  Reply with quote  

Dunador
Chuck Norris Wannabe

Ok. I can understand the need to understand something, I really do.

I can understand the need to want to ask those of us who were in the betas, how to do something.

1 or 2 things, this is cool and OK, I dont mind. I cant speak for Mayeh or any of the others, but 1 or 2 things here and there, is fine by me.

When you go, and ask 50 questions, about how to perform basic tasks, without first doing a little bit of research of your own, thats when I have a problem. I had to do all this research during betas, looking at forum posts, database notes, so I could understand what was going on. And besides, I would like to be able to play the game some too. If thats not too much to ask.

http://ffxiv.yg.com/
http://www.ffxivorigin.com/
http://ffxiv.zam.com/

And ya know what, if none of those work for ya, cant find what you need, heres one last option.

http://tinyurl.com/2araj5y

/endrant

Is there something I can help you with today?
GW2 - Retired: Dunador Serestil - Mesmer - Maguuma
Steam Handle: Dunador (Profile Link)

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

nala
Weaver of Misfortunes

there were very few times where i SPECIFICALLY asked you any one of my questions first off, and just because you played in the beta doesnt give you the right to be condescending.

furthermore i play in full screen so checking a site at the same time doesnt work.

TOP View user's profileSend private message  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Kade
The Duke of San d'Oria

Unless there is something preventing you from playing in windowed mode hardware wise, everyone should be playing in windowed mode so they can do research for themselves until they are confident enough to play in full screen.

It's a bit unfair for someone to expect everyone else to have to learn by doing at least some research if your not willing to do the same.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/KadeFFXI?ref=profile

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Squitt
電 話 武 士

Its also unfair for a leader to publicly complain about having to answer questions.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Kade
The Duke of San d'Oria

After talking to both duna yesterday and nala today, it seems this was more a personality clash that unfortunately spilled over to the forum than anything else.

I would still suggest to anybody reading this thread to run in windowed mode if possible so that you can utilize website resources to better learn the game.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Ninelives
Le Fantôme de l’Forums

I would think that if you're going to come on the forums from the beginning of beta, post several strategy guides and hints, and continuously talk about all the stuff you've accomplished in FFXIV so far that you should 1) expect people to ask you about what you've learned/posted, and 2) not complain when they do it.

It could have been worse Nala, he could have publicly ridiculed your name choice too~

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:59 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Dunador
Chuck Norris Wannabe

Squitt wrote:
Its also unfair for a leader to publicly complain about having to answer questions.

Im not a leader. I made the temporary LS for us to hang in until we get it sorted out. I pearl and sack people. I do NOT maintain order, and I do not have the patience to be a leader.

Ninelives wrote:
I would think that if you're going to come on the forums from the beginning of beta, post several strategy guides and hints,

If we posted them, they were for other people to read, so they -wouldnt- bombard us with questions. When Im too busy typing answers to the LS about whatever, and cant engage that monster standing in front of me, or cant even get through a synthesis, then theres something wrong.

Since I am apparently so far in the wrong with this, I will gladly answer any questions anyone has, anytime you have one.
GW2 - Retired: Dunador Serestil - Mesmer - Maguuma
Steam Handle: Dunador (Profile Link)

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Katarinae
Nubikins

On the subject of the 10 million questions game, here's what I've noticed:

1. Those that have done their research should be applauded.
2. Those that can't research need to start.
3. It's damn near impossible to do a continuous flow of chat without stopping everything you're doing because SE made it completely annoying and retarded when it comes to the chat functions. What I mean is... every time you do a synth, your text is erased. When you're gathering, fighting mobs, make one SLIGHT little move everything you've typed is erased.

So now... I hope you guys understand Duna's frustrations and don't take it to heart or start a blame war. Understand that those of us who have taken the time research don't mind asking some questions, but not to the point that the only thing we're allowed to do on game is answer basic questions.

(btw.. I'm dead serious about the chat logs. Try it yourself if you don't believe me. I get so fed up with the chat system that I refuse to type anything while synthing anymore.)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

Yeah, you pretty much have to stop what you're doing in order to use the chat function so being bombarded with questions can get annoying. Either the person trying to help has to deal with the frustrating chat system or the person asking has to deal with what appears to be people ignoring them because the people with the answers are trying to answer and can't complete an entry before it's reset, trying to complete a task so that they don't have to deal with the frustrating chat system, or they just want to play the game.

I've already made my pass at trying to play the game and answer questions at the same time, and to be honest, I'm also less inclined to do it anymore. It's not that I don't like being helpful. It's that being helpful is very disruptive to actually doing anything else in the game.

As for the leader comment, I don't remember there being a vote yet.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
`·.,¸,.·*¯`·.,¸,.·*¯[;::;‹]ᵒᴥᵒ­­­­­­­­­­­­)›

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Lynkara

Kicker is (and I would need to find which interview on the Disc it was ) SE says they gave to Players a nice chat feature. LOL I wonder if they even bothered to try it.

TOP   BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Gigiya
Antica Addict

You mean you still can't alt-tab in FFXIV and the chat functionality is still garbage? I know a lot of people hate WoW and how all MMOs imitate it, but they do it for a reason, why SE couldn't learn from six years of Blizzard's success puzzles me.

Of course, all I know about FFXIV I read in this thread...I'm just completely disinterested in even trying to play this game if it still hasn't caught up to WoW c. 2004.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Kade
The Duke of San d'Oria

What amazes me even more is the fact that they have people who worked on FFXI, and also clearly took things from FFXI, but yet could not figure out how to do the chat like in FFXI.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Wumyamya
Ulmia's Soulmate

You mean you still can't alt-tab in FFXIV and the chat functionality is still garbage? I know a lot of people hate WoW and how all MMOs imitate it, but they do it for a reason, why SE couldn't learn from six years of Blizzard's success puzzles me.

WOW has one of the absolute worst interfaces out there, and I hate that every MMO, including FFXIV, copy it. FFXI's interface is beautiful and elegant, there when you need it, then it gets out of your way. The FFXIV interface is awful, clunky, and not at all PC friendly.

Wumy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Huit
Tarogpan Terrorizer

I do agree that you need to do some research BEFORE, DURING and even when you ARE NOT playing the game to get a grip of the game.

I did a lot of research but there are still so MANY questions when i start playing the game. it really makes me wonder if this is a research game or a game to have fun lol. In game description isn't really helpful and UI +chat is really crap.

Having said that, I still enjoy this game after 3 days (YES, it took me 3 days to kinda understand the game!!!) of walking around and trying things out here & there.

Something important that i found out though - if u do plan to play this game for a long term, please earn some extra money to buy a better computer. Unless u are setting everything to the lowest (which makes the game REALLY ugly), lag will kill ur fun while doing anything.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

ZeroMagic
Nubikins

being new to the whole FF MMO (well I did play FFXI's beta testing) I'm not used to anything about this system and I found it quite difficult to find any answers that I've been looking for. Thankfully, Huit showed me how to do a few things that I had no idea about when he was over a few nights ago and it made everything a lot easier since. Personally, I'm pretty big on finding things out for myself and if I can't figure it out, then tough beans.

Being a "leader" or head figure within a guild isn't easy. I ran/helped run Ragnarok Online guilds for years and would constantly be taking care of game things even when I was at work, even as much as coordinating guild war plans while it was happening through MSN at my desk at work. It's just easy for someone to ask those who are considered "well versed" in the game every question they have. Some people are just not the type to constantly search for the answers when playing a game and will just sit there and wait till someone tells them (like my wife for example). Some people just aren't as big of gamers as others and you can't fault them for their lack of knowledge. U

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Rants » Questioning
 Page 1 of 2