FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Register Register 
The Honourable Souls
A Social Linkshell on FairySylph (FFXI) & Mysidia Ragnarok (FFXIV) 
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Technical Help » New MOBO arrived
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next The time now is Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:18 am 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

nala
Weaver of Misfortunes

ok definatly need help here, first off motherboard manual says:

There are nine (9) internal serial ata connectors and one (1) e-sata on this motherboard. connection points sata0 - sata5, are controlled by the south bridge chipset. connection points sata8 - sata9, are controlled by the jmicron jmb383 chip. these connection points support raid 0 and raid 1.

ok that said here are my bios screens, im not sure which setting does what for which /sigh

this is the main screen for setting raid mode

these are my options under sata mode:

options under jmb363 mode:

options under jmb362 mode are the same minus the combined mode RAID + IDE and AHCI + IDE

so i need confirmation or correction based on what the manual is saying, sata mode effects sata slots 0-5? jmb 362 would affect sata slot 6 and 7 and jmb 363 is for slots 8 and 9?

or are these settings completely different?

if my first state ment is true, and i set the south bridge chip set to RAID as my SSD is also on this set would it become part of the raid setup? do i have to go into a completely different part of my bios to setup RAID after applying these options?

sorry for the barrage of questions while i wait ima try to look it up/stumble through this.

TOP View user's profileSend private message  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:51 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

nala
Weaver of Misfortunes

hmm noticing it is kinda detecting my WD hard drives during the boot up sequence, anyways installing windows now, well i guess it would kinda make sense but SSD's dont need to be formated? at least windows didnt prompt me to rather went straight into installing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:53 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

If a drive isn't formatted, I believe Windows install will just select and use it when you select the drive.

BTW, for sata, I highly recommend using AHCI. This cannot be changed once Windows is installed. If you want to change it from legacy/IDE/whatever to AHCI AFTER Windows is installed, you will have to go through driver hell to fix it, or just reinstall Windows. Obviously for your RAID, you'd use AHCI+RAID.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:42 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

nala
Weaver of Misfortunes

your a tad late in saying, windows is installed already and i setup the raid with it just straight raid though i can revert that still i think, i think i need the drivers for the controler since it was giving me an error.

also im posting from the new machine! im liking it so far ^.^ (i freaking better x.x)

and while on that topic im about to get anti virus so if any one is viewing this right now i could use a suggestion on what a good one is, well with 11 and 14 being windowable now perhaps it matters less then it used to but still any suggestions?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

The reason AHCI is recommended is for performance. Some people might not notice a difference. The compatibility modes are almost always guaranteed to work without much fiddling, but you won't get optimal performance.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:03 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

nala
Weaver of Misfortunes

/sigh i could just format the drive and re install windows right?

so i ran the benchmarker, unfortunatly it would see my old HD tv only supports up to resolution of 1176x664 i put it into 1280x720 which i can still fucntion but the borders of the screen get cut off, dont know if that helped or harmed me but here is what i scored running the benchmark at 1280x720 with all 3 gpu's turned down to min settings.

well i was thinking of getting a new hd tv anyways, this time ima have to do some research and get me a proper extra large computer monitor!~

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Alananir
DocWilco

I'm going to agree with Nimdae here. Definitely use AHCI mode. Especially if you have an SSD.

Luckily for you installing windows takes hardly any time at all, with an SSD.

Elemental Magic Skill 8/8 Lightning Magic Potency 4/4 Ice Magic Potency 3/3 Fire Magic Potency 3/3 MP 5/8
Freeze II 1/2 Burst II 1/3 Flame II 1/2 Flood II 1/1 Quake II 1/1 Tornado 1/1
Great Katana 8/8 Critical Hit Rate 4/4 Meditate 5/5 Store TP 5/5 Overwhelm 5/5 Shikikoyo 1/? Blade Bash 1/? STR 3/5
BLM75 SAM75 NIN66 WHM44 WAR40 RNG38 RDM37 THF37 DNC37 COR21 MNK20

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

nala
Weaver of Misfortunes

fact! hmmm will i need to create a boot disk or something since it never gave me the option of formating the drive, not sure if windows will give me that option x.x well anyways i've been doing pretty good so far on figuring it out.

so only thing left to do besides maybe reinstalling windows at this point, is figure out how to make my raid drive show up on windows, i finally figured out how to set it up however it doesnt show up as a drive in windows.

also i need help with overclocking, i'm not sure what to adjust beyond the cpu to improve performance, what i do know is that if i try to use the software tool to bump up my video cards performance they shut down, perhaps this is due to low voltage? anyways ill be adding pictures of that portion of my bios when i get home tonight.

hmmm also think its too late to try to apply for the beta? not that it matters a whole lot atm /sigh i need a new tv or a straight up monitor =/ i was expecting to use my tv but as you might have read before, my tv suposedly supports 1280x720 but when in that mode it cuts off the screen around the edges.

i ended up emulating the orientation for my sli bridge based on some one using a similar (same?) card in 3 way sli i saw on video but does the bridge's orientation actually matter?

also before i do anything else i need to start relocating my entire entertainment center >.< ive kinda sorta been sleeping on my lazy boy for the last 2 months... i really need to move my xbox and tv outa the bedroom clean it up and set up my bed x.x (and get my entertaianment center together downstairs)

so things left to do to call this complete:
get new TV (or an actual computer monitor)
get a suround sound system
get some kind of UPS (there is another type of this right? not called UPS? meh any suggestions?)
move entire entertainment center downstairs
put together bed

figure out how and actually exicute overclocking system
format and reinstall windows
get anti virus for system (any particular suggestions on this? or just go with w/e?)
install 11! (btw in a PM or something some one mind giving me a list of good 3rd party windower tools?)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

I'm not sure where you're at at this point, but I'll tell you what you need to install with AHCI.

Windows XP:
You will need to get your disk controller driver on a floppy disk. When you boot to the install for Windows, there will be a prompt to hit a F key to install drivers, this is what that disk is for. There's a slim chance you don't need to do this...slim chance. After Windows is installed, you will have to install a separate driver for your RAID array.

Windows Vista:
I don't remember if this is the point where they accepted drivers on a USB stick, but there's still a chance you'll need the driver. However, you most likely would not need it. The driver for the RAID controller will have to be installed after the fact, like in XP

Windows 7:
More than likely you don't need a driver disk, but if you load the install and your drive doesn't show up to install Windows to, you'll need a USB stick to put the drivers on. You also should be able to use your RAID array right away once the install is done.

You can get AHCI working without reinstalling Windows, but it's not intuitive. If you want to attempt this, find the driver installer for your disk controller and install it, which should install the AHCI driver. Usually, but not always, this will allow you to change the controller to AHCI. Make sure you back up your data on your RAID array because it will most likely destroy the data.

BTW, you can get the disk driver from the CD/DVD that came with your mobo, or the mobo's manufacturer website. I recommend checking the website because the included disk is usually very outdated. If you need help with this, post the make and model of the mobo and I'm sure one of us can get you the needed files Wink

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

nala
Weaver of Misfortunes

thanks nim but ima just format my SSD and reinstall after changing the settings, ive not installed anything that i care enough to perserve or back up,

also back about the anti virus any suggestions?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

nala
Weaver of Misfortunes

since you've been the most responsive and it was your suggestion im hoping your there nim, when i set my sata slots that my SSD is on to AHCI it doesnt reconize it as a bootable drive.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

nala
Weaver of Misfortunes

i just got done reverting settings back to IDE for my south side chip set before re attempting an install with it set to AHCI, worked fine before hand but in AHCI mode:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

nala
Weaver of Misfortunes

so can i install it on the disk while in IDE mode then change to AHCI mode after the fact? also i dont understand what you meant before by it wont be intuitive or something, you were talking about a way to set it to AHCI after installing?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

nala
Weaver of Misfortunes

/sigh just noticed my memory value seemed kinda low on the bios screen turns out i was right i need to open her back up and see if that ram stick i took out last night is loose... other wise it might be malfunctioning T.T

anyways need to know about this whole AHCI thing asap wanna get on with setting this mofo up /sigh

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Technical Help » New MOBO arrived
 Page 2 of 3