FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Register Register 
The Honourable Souls
A Social Linkshell on FairySylph (FFXI) & Mysidia Ragnarok (FFXIV) 
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » News » new computer (attention thren)
  The time now is Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:42 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: new computer (attention thren)  Reply with quote  

nala
Weaver of Misfortunes

so i just ordered a brand new computer today, i paid abit extra to have the delivery rushed so i may receive a portion if not the whole order over the weekend. that being said i haven't put a computer together in almost 8-10 years, so i might be asking yall questions, hopefully i can find my digital camera while unpacking (which im finally getting around to doing) so i can provide visual references with what questions i may have.

also thren some of the parts you suggested went down in price!~ and i got some additional instant rebates, part of the reason i decided to go for the rush delivery, thanks for your help.

TOP View user's profileSend private message  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Neovilla
Bird Basher

Very Happy nice man I myself have to updated my pc XD want to do come nice things and play some games >.>;; Well there are plently of ppl here who have build a pc or two here so shot away.
[Bastok Mission: Completed] [ San doria Mission: Completed] [Windurst Mission: Completed] [RoZ Mission: Completed] [CoP Mission: Completed] [TouA Mission: Completed] [C: 28/50][WotG Mission: 24][ACP Mission:Completed][ MKD Mission: 2][ASA Mission: 10]

Neovilla: http://www.ffxiah.com/player.php?id=132283

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Roark
Why haven't you asked for a title yet?

Congrats!

-R

White Mage 90 Scholar 90 Black Mage 90
Chains of Promathia- Complete
Treasures of Aht Urhgan- Complete

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

threndal
Bat Nemesis

nice man let me know if u need any help. cant wait to see your scored on the benchmark

TOP View user's profileSend private messageYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

nala
Weaver of Misfortunes

so question, was i suposed to order thermal paste? i think there is some on the fan/heat sink unit however i didnt know and smudged it, so now im wondering if i need to go buy more, what is there however is a really thin coat.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Tibz
There and Back Again

thin is good when it comes to thermal paste, many ppl put way to much on
just kinda depends on how much is on there. you can youtube or google for some quick tuts on how to apply the stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

nala
Weaver of Misfortunes

thermal paste got, so now im putting together my tower... im starting with the drives and power source and then going to do the mother board and then ram cpu ect.

this a good plan? probably will already be down this path by the time i get an anwser, also thren you know that SSD you suggested? how the hell am i suposed to mount it? its too small do i need to go out and buy some kind of adapter? it lookslike its meant to be an internal drive though, if any one else wants to take a stab at this question the SSD is a kingston technology ssdnow v series 128 GB.

also late in the asking but im using an antistatic mat with a wrist strap, what should i ground myself too?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Jarreth
Shantotto's Bodyguard

I don't even think I used my thermal glue when I put my comp together Razz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:23 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

threndal
Bat Nemesis

the order i put it together nala is cpu, ram, cpu fan, power supply, vid card, then mount it in the case, then i put the rest on. in the case the ssd normally goes in a 3.5 slot which is normally where the other hard drives go if it doesnt fit cuz its to small you can either fashion together a sort of home made kind of device to hold it there like paper clips lol or you can buy one.

as for the anti static i just used a wrist strap.

that sound about right to you tibz?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:42 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

nala
Weaver of Misfortunes

i am... where is the proper place to attach it to acheive grounding is the question that i thought i phrased plainly.

Quote:
antistatic mat with a wrist strap, what should i ground myself too?

also i think my cpu recpticle as a bent pin... and it was like that before i did anything to it, think ill be able to exchange it via new egg... since there isnt any way to prove i didnt cause the dammage........

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Alananir
DocWilco

This is the order I use:

- If the powersupply isn't in the case yet, put it in.
- If needed, put in the motherboard risers. (Little screws that the motherboard sits on top of, and the actual screws screw into.)
- Put motherboard into the case, screw down.
- Put CPU in the motherboard.
- Put on thermal paste & put on the CPU fan.
- Put RAM in the motherboard.
- Put drives into the case.
- Wire everything up.
- Slot the GPU in.
- Wire up the GPU.

If you're using a wristband, ground it to the case.

And since the CPU slot doesn't have pins but holes... what did you bend? Get us a picture?

The SSD is indeed 2.5", not 3.5", so you will need mounting rails for those. If they didn't come with your SSD, then you can pick them up for a few bucks at a local store. You can get kits for like 20 bucks or more, but that's pretty much a con. Anything over 10 bucks is too much.

Elemental Magic Skill 8/8 Lightning Magic Potency 4/4 Ice Magic Potency 3/3 Fire Magic Potency 3/3 MP 5/8
Freeze II 1/2 Burst II 1/3 Flame II 1/2 Flood II 1/1 Quake II 1/1 Tornado 1/1
Great Katana 8/8 Critical Hit Rate 4/4 Meditate 5/5 Store TP 5/5 Overwhelm 5/5 Shikikoyo 1/? Blade Bash 1/? STR 3/5
BLM75 SAM75 NIN66 WHM44 WAR40 RNG38 RDM37 THF37 DNC37 COR21 MNK20

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

nala
Weaver of Misfortunes

ill see if i can find my digital camera so i can post a pic, and theres no way i did it, there was a protective cover over the cpu recipticle... if you want to get an idea of what it looks like in the mean time look up EVGA 48x its an i7 pentium mobo.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

nala
Weaver of Misfortunes

WOOT, well guess i was worrying over nothing always hear good things about new egg and thier customer service is probably among the least painful experinces ive ever had when something's gone sour on my end.

short of it, they are reping my mother board and giving a full refund on the SSD so im about to go order the right one x.x, i just need to go to my email and look up the directions for returning.

also doc, thanks for answering my question about the grounding strap, been 10 years since i did it last so i was abit worried i mighta been doing it wrong but guess im good.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:18 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

Just a note, clipping the static wrist band to the case does nothing useful unless the power supply is screwed in and plugged in to a wall socket. If it's not plugged in, you aren't grounded. The only way to ground yourself out is to connect that strap to an actual grounded contact. Instead of using your case, you can use something else, like the metal casing of an appliance that is plugged in. Alternatively, you can forego the grounding strap altogether by discharging static electricity by touching something grounded and then beginning work with as little carpet movement as possible.

Improper grounding attempts can actually be more harmful than good. Clipping to the case without grounding the case can result in closing a static circuit through what you are installing (ie: GPU) rather than into ground.

Personally, I've never killed anything and I rarely follow grounding guidelines. Then again, my computer case is exposed aluminum (not painted) so I ground myself out whenever I touch it before pulling it out to unplug.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

threndal
Bat Nemesis

ya i think with my last computer i didnt ground just made sure i didnt purposely try to generate static electricity.... sorry bout the directions nala i was a bit out of it that night and have been busy. if u need some help during the day you can email me at fireurza@gmail.com

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » News » new computer (attention thren)
 Page 1 of 1