FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Register Register 
The Honourable Souls
A Social Linkshell on FairySylph (FFXI) & Mysidia Ragnarok (FFXIV) 
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Rants » Itawamba, MS is full of 5 year olds
 Goto page 1, 2  Next The time now is Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:56 am 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Itawamba, MS is full of 5 year olds  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

I'm sure many of you recognize this city being in the news recently. It's the city with the high school that cancelled a prom because a lesbian wanted to bring her girlfriend. The ACLU won the fight there and the school was forced to invite the girl to prom. However, they're back in the news.

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/04/05/ACLU_Investigating_Fake_Prom/

All I can think about is a bunch of 5 year olds making that decision. I hope the ACLU pounds them hard.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
`ท.,ธ,.ท*ฏ`ท.,ธ,.ท*ฏ[;::;‹]ᵒᴥᵒญญญญญญญญญญญญ)›

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Cerrawan
Why haven't you asked for a title yet?

What exactly are they going to do about? The school gave them the prom and that released them from any liablility. You cant go after the parents who can just say this was a private party.

TOP View user's profileSend private message  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

Cerrawan wrote:
What exactly are they going to do about? The school gave them the prom and that released them from any liablility. You cant go after the parents who can just say this was a private party.

I hope you are joking and not really that ignorant.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Budoukiba
The Poor Neenja

Sorry for the language, but it's things like this that really piss me off. It's basically segregation in a different aspect - lifestyle instead of race. Personally, I believe hardcore religious school board representatives are the main cause of this, which makes me come to think "whatever happened to separation of church and state?" It's also quite offensive to me because I'm a lesbian. Of course, I didn't face something this derogatory in my past because of my orientation, but I was still ridiculed because of it by stuck-up assholes who seem to think we aren't as every bit of human as they are. I hate people, I really do.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Tibz
There and Back Again

Sad ppl like this need to stop living in the dark ages

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Troiboi
Antica Addict

Not that I was ever particularly out in high school but it's because of stuff like this that I didn't even go to my proms simply because there was no way I'd be able to get the same kind of experience.

Hopefully one day similar folks will be able to enjoy these events in the regard in which it's meant. How magical would that be /sigh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

threndal
Bat Nemesis

actually the judges ruled that she would be invited to that private one that the parents were planning the school never held their prom it was all parent organized (PTA im guessing lol) but these things just piss me off. i cant wait til those laws go in place

TOP View user's profileSend private messageYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Ceres
Antica Addict

Nimdae wrote:
Cerrawan wrote:

I hope you are joking and not really that ignorant.

He is right though. If it's a private party there's nothing that the government can do. It's similar to how segregation has been banned for ages, but there are still country clubs that don't allow blacks (or Jews).

It's not a legally valid excuse but many straight students or their parents will say that having a homosexual couple there ruins their prom experience. This is the kind of emotional response that you are going to be fighting for a long time. People will have to be all right with gay and lesbian couples internally before you'll see this kind of discrimination go away. Regardless of what the law says. It will take decades for this to happen.

One thing that the LGBT community can do to hasten the process is to market themselves better. Everyone should feel free to act how they want to, but you have to understand that as you get away from society's norms you will lose a lot of support. Put a man on arguing for LGBT rights, and he's camping and lispy, people will be immediately turned off. Have the homosexual equivalent of Joe Everyman, let him be well-spoken and cogent, and people will begin to listen to your plight.

Us African-Americans had the exact same problem in the past, so I mean you no disrespect. We had people representing us like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. These guys look and act like street preachers or pimps. Then along comes Obama, a guy who is Ivy League, well-spoken and polished, and America elects him president by a wide margin over a white man. It will eventually happen for you too.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageAIM Address ICQ Number BOTTOM
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:53 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

So you think a school function that is sponsored by others should be able to be exclusive, even if morally wrong? No matter the sponsor, host, etc, it was a school function.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:23 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Wumyamya
Ulmia's Soulmate

The issue isn't that some of the parents got together and threw a private party. They have every right to throw a private party and invite whoever they want.

The issue is that Constance and other kids deemed misfits from the area were deliberately misled and sent to a fake prom. The whole purpose was to exclude and humiliate them. And that is never okay.

Those parents, and anyone who attended the private prom knowing what else was going on with the fake prom should be ashamed of themselves. There is no excuse for that kind of behavior.

Wumy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:51 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

They won't feel shame. They feel justified in their actions because those people are abominations. This is a victory in their fight.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Ceres
Antica Addict

If the "fake prom" was supported by the school and the "real prom" was put on by private individuals, then there's nothing to be done about it. And yes, I doubt those parents will feel any shame. They believe that they are protecting their children from immorality and perversion.

And anyway, these kind of victories are short-lived. In a generation you won't see this kind of hate nearly as much. It will be as taboo as any kind of discrimination.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

Photo collage from the "real" prom. Ahem. (allegedly)

Last edited by Nimdae on Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Ceres
Antica Addict

LOL is that for real?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Koiji
Paragon of Pirate Excellence

I've seen that picture in the upper-right of the collage before, several months ago, so it's not real sadly. But that picture is a fantastic example of beer goggles, if you see the entire thing.

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Rants » Itawamba, MS is full of 5 year olds
 Page 1 of 2