FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Register Register 
The Honourable Souls
A Social Linkshell on FairySylph (FFXI) & Mysidia Ragnarok (FFXIV) 
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Relaxation » Beer thread! (21+ please.)
 Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next The time now is Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:39 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:48 am    Post subject: Beer thread! (21+ please.)  Reply with quote  

Kelington
Dispwned

So, I know a few of us have talked about this thread and I know for certain there are a few beer snobs and connoisseurs out there so here we are.

I'm going to start with my personal all time favs and then some of the better stuff I've had recently.

Guinness
The limited Guinness 250
And the wonderful, wonderful Arrogant Bastard

I am a Stout fan. Simple.

Best beer ever? Bell's Special Double Cream Stout.
I got my hands on a glass of this while in Indiana visiting Maj and Ninelives. Brilliant beer.

Right now I'm trying out Magic Hat's Autumn seasonal Roxy Rolles. It's a nice bitter. Super hopsy. I like it a lot so far, though from what I've tasted it doesn't go too well with food.

Sam Adams Blackberry Witbier is another tasty bit as well as their Dark Lager. (Which these two bother me because they can only be found in the SABMC where I live or just like that in general because I can only have two of each and I don't like the Irish Red that comes with the rest of the six pack.)

Your turn!

TOP View user's profileSend private messageAIM Address  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:11 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Jarreth
Shantotto's Bodyguard

Oh God don't let Roark see this thread! He'll have a post a mile long.

TOP View user's profileSend private message  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:18 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Wumyamya
Ulmia's Soulmate

The Sam Adams Blackberry Witbier is, indeed, quite lovely. Sea Dog Wild Blueberry Wheat Beer is also quite nice as long as it's reasonably fresh. I spent the summery trying a variety of fruited wheat beers, and these two were the top picks.

Guinness. Nothing more needs be said.

Delirium Tremens. On tap.

I've been enjoying a variety of Pennsylvania beers. The two most interesting, so far, have been Weyerbacher Hop Devil IPA and Victory Brewing Company Hop Wallop IPA. Both extremely hoppy and delicious. I think they're stand-alone beers rather than food beers, however. Victory Brewings Prima Pils is pretty nice, too, and goes well with food. It's very refreshing. I have a few of the Victory Brewing Golden Monkey saisson and I can't recommend it. It's quite strong, and very much a sipping beer, but I've been struggling to finish the case. I don't mind the saisson style but there's something about this beer I don't quite like.

Wumy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:07 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Kelington
Dispwned

I can't say I'm much for IPAs. There are a few I'm alright with. I really like Dogfish Head Gumball. It's an APA though. Still quite tasty. Also, Flying Dog has a good blueberry beer. Wild Blue I think it is.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Alananir
DocWilco

Cool to see the Dutch spelling of Witbier being prevalent. Very Happy

Elemental Magic Skill 8/8 Lightning Magic Potency 4/4 Ice Magic Potency 3/3 Fire Magic Potency 3/3 MP 5/8
Freeze II 1/2 Burst II 1/3 Flame II 1/2 Flood II 1/1 Quake II 1/1 Tornado 1/1
Great Katana 8/8 Critical Hit Rate 4/4 Meditate 5/5 Store TP 5/5 Overwhelm 5/5 Shikikoyo 1/? Blade Bash 1/? STR 3/5
BLM75 SAM75 NIN66 WHM44 WAR40 RNG38 RDM37 THF37 DNC37 COR21 MNK20

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Maj
Saint Subligar

IPA everywhere, in every orifice. There's a local brewery about an hour away called Three Floyds that brews a pale wheat, delicious! My favorite beer as of right now. And I have to throw my shout-out to Nine's neck of the woods, and say that Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat will always have a place in my heart! Also, hell yes Arrogant Bastard! And if you really wanna have a good time, drink a Ruination. If you can handle it. You'll never look at IPA the same way again haha!

TOP View user's profileSend private messageAIM AddressMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Ninelives
Le Fantôme de l’Forums

Pfft - Maj only drinks apricot, nasty stuff. I have pics to prove it!

We have a brewery here in KC called Boulevard, and like Maj mentioned it's quite good. My favorite beer is their winter seasonal, called Nutcracker Ale. All of there seasonals are great, especially the scrumptios Irish Ale they have now. Remind me to bring their IPA for you to try next time we meet up Maj.

Wumy is correct; Guinness is bliss. She's been teasing me with her making of black and tans, so I need to get some Bass next time I get Guinness. Her recomendation on the Sea Dog was spot on, and to my pleasant surprise my favorite pizza place here in KC carries it. Someday I plan to invade Maine, where I will bring Majia cookies and go to the brewery to try it.

I like Sam Adams's Oktoberfest, but when that is out of season I don't typically buy it.

Arrogant Bastard is wonderful, and it's the first beer that actually kicked my ass drinking it.

Also, any beer made in a clear or green bottle will be automatically denied.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Kelington
Dispwned

Right, Aprihops! I'll never forget. This is a warning to stay away from that beer at all costs. Atlanta is responsible for Sweetwater's line of beer. Can't say that it's epic. They have some decent stuff. Redbrick however has AMAZING beer. They're also local here.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Ninelives
Le Fantôme de l’Forums

"I didn't realize a beer called 'Aprihops' would be apricot flavored."

- Maj

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Kelington
Dispwned

Best night ever, really. I had something else that night that was really good. I can't remember what it was though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Roark
Why haven't you asked for a title yet?

What a fantastic thread!

So difficult to pick my favorites, but I can give a few.

Wumyamya makes an excellent point: Delirium Tremens on tap= Delicious.

I am quite fond of the Belgian Trappist Ales in general. Chimay, Achel, and Orval. Awesome.

Here in States a recent favorite of mine is: Dead Guy Ale Double Boch. Boom!

I also am strongly in favor of Samuel Adams: It is now America's largest beer company and it actually makes beer that I find delicious and worth a damn. So here's to Sam!

Speaking of Sam, Samuel Smith makes a fine collection of stouts in Tadcaster, Yorkshire. @ Kelington, have you tried these? As a stout fan, you might love their oatmeal stout and their imperial.

Other random beers that have tickled my fancy: Old Speckled Hen, Boddingtons, Honker's Ale (Chicago), Old Well White (from Top of the Hill in Chapel Hill NC).

As far as day to day beers go, I love a tart crisp lager, like my lady Stella Artois. (Eeek a green bottle!)

And lastly for a beer that has kicked my ass: a few pints of Trois Pistoles by Unibroue will certainly catch up to you!

Cheers!

-R

White Mage 90 Scholar 90 Black Mage 90
Chains of Promathia- Complete
Treasures of Aht Urhgan- Complete

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Kelington
Dispwned

I've not tried those but it needs to happen! And I'm not going to hate on Stella. It's not awful because of it's bottle. Though, I've had my share of it enough to say that it isn't on my top 5 list. Razz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:34 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Alananir
DocWilco

We should organize an Oktober Fest trip to Germany some time. (I'm sure the beer drinkers know this is in September.)

And since Germany is close to Belgium, we'll start off there, and I'll get my Belgian contacts to tell me about the best bars to go to. I know there's one or two that literally carry 100+ sorts of beer. Then go to Germany and do a REAL Oktober Fest.

I'll just have to bring my flask, what with the not liking any beer. >_>

Elemental Magic Skill 8/8 Lightning Magic Potency 4/4 Ice Magic Potency 3/3 Fire Magic Potency 3/3 MP 5/8
Freeze II 1/2 Burst II 1/3 Flame II 1/2 Flood II 1/1 Quake II 1/1 Tornado 1/1
Great Katana 8/8 Critical Hit Rate 4/4 Meditate 5/5 Store TP 5/5 Overwhelm 5/5 Shikikoyo 1/? Blade Bash 1/? STR 3/5
BLM75 SAM75 NIN66 WHM44 WAR40 RNG38 RDM37 THF37 DNC37 COR21 MNK20

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:10 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Kelington
Dispwned

How unfair of you to tempt me with such a thing seeing as how I have more money than i know what to do with, epic flight benefits and a passion for beer.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:21 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Jarreth
Shantotto's Bodyguard

If I can get vacation time for this, I am SO in!

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Relaxation » Beer thread! (21+ please.)
 Page 1 of 3