FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Register Register 
The Honourable Souls
A Social Linkshell on FairySylph (FFXI) & Mysidia Ragnarok (FFXIV) 
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Rants » Closed Apps??!!
 Goto page 1, 2  Next The time now is Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:32 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject: Closed Apps??!!  Reply with quote  

Ninelives
Le Fantôme de l’Forums

Quote:
While myself and the rest of the High Council for this linkshell appreciate the fact that you're looking to join our linkshell, we however have decided to stop recruitment for a little while.

It seems that we have absorbed a couple of linkshells that have recently faded out. And as such we as a linkshell grew incredibly fast.

So for the time being, so that both our new and more veteran members get a chance to get used to each other again we're not going to be taking any more applications.

Thank you.

Really? REALLY?

We are teh leetz0rz of all teh linkshellz. GOWAI NU PEOPLZ!

TOP View user's profileSend private message  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:43 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Kelington
Dispwned

What the hell is going on in here these days? You guys are truly off the tHS rocker. I thought we were a LS about helping people. Not turning anyone away. Totally silly. I greatly disagree with this. I was absorbed here because it was a warm place with good people when my old shell's leader went off the deep end. What about other folks like that?

TOP View user's profileSend private messageAIM Address  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Sylverfox
Cute & Deadly

I do have to agree that closing applications to a social link shell seems rather ridiculous. Socials are about helping people out not turning people away. While Nine put it bluntly that is the persona that it gives off... we are too good to allow anymore into our social link shell... is that how the leaders want to have THS seen?

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:52 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Wumyamya
Ulmia's Soulmate

We temporarily closed applications because the linkshell has increased significantly in size in recent weeks, and the drama has increased with it. We've put holds on recruitment and new members in the past for the same reason, and to my knowledge only one person has been turned away in recent weeks, and that was for a specific reason. This is hardly behavior that warrants a completely incomprehensible post like Nine's or suggestions that we're "off our rocker." Stopping recruitment temporarily wasn't done capriciously, but with the idea that the shell needs time to adjust to an influx of new members and new personalities. Recruitment will open up again shortly, I'm sure.

I honestly can't believe anyone would accuse people like me, or Raikan or Mayeh, or Maj (our ANYONE on the HC) of elitism. That's just insulting.

Wumy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:01 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Kelington
Dispwned

I just have a hard time seeing a difference between people joining now or a month from now. Growth is growth. And I doubt anyone is being accused of elitism. We all know better than that.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:08 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Wumyamya
Ulmia's Soulmate

I honestly don't understand what's so offensive about temporary suspending new members. We got big all of a sudden, so we'd like to give our old and new members a chance to get to know each other a little better and we think that'll be easier if there isn't a constant influx of new people for awhile. That's all. It's not permanent.

Wumy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:21 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Kelington
Dispwned

Its not offensive just abrupt. At least to me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:51 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Zealos
Torama Taunter

Honestly, it seems like a good idea. A linkshell where you don't know over half the people because of massive recruitment is not a good shell. There is no group ideal or anything. Like Wumy said, it gives everybody a chance to get to know each other so that everybody understands how THS works and reduces the chance of drama or other such things.

The same scenario has happened in linkshells that I belonged to in the past and it wasn't pretty. Same thing happened with my guild in WoW and it turned out badly. The decision, in my opinion, is for the best.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Neovilla
Bird Basher

Aye as the it was post we want to give time to let the new members setting in with the old ones. Z couldn't have put it better then anything with the busting almount of ppl lately app. for the shell its hard for the ideal of THS to kept and this starts the clash.

This will let the ripples setted down in the pond and then as before its back ot business. There is always more pebbles to toss in the pond in the future but lets work with the present til we get there.
[Bastok Mission: Completed] [ San doria Mission: Completed] [Windurst Mission: Completed] [RoZ Mission: Completed] [CoP Mission: Completed] [TouA Mission: Completed] [C: 28/50][WotG Mission: 24][ACP Mission:Completed][ MKD Mission: 2][ASA Mission: 10]

Neovilla: http://www.ffxiah.com/player.php?id=132283

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Closed Apps??!!  Reply with quote  

Ninelives
Le Fantôme de l’Forums

Ninelives wrote:
We are teh leetz0rz of all teh linkshellz. GOWAI NU PEOPLZ!

The implication of this was not to claim anyone in this shell is elitist or feels this way, and I apologize if it came off that way. It was intended to be what a new player who comes to our website to apply would think when they see apps closed for a social linkshell. The fact that we're a social linkshell, especially one that prides itself on accepting anyone on Fairy as long as they follow our three basic rules, and closing applications to new people just rubs me the wrong way.

I don't like to think of the response I'd get from anyone on my Friend List who asks me if they can check out my social, only to say "Sorry, we're currently closed on applications for new people."

This linkshell is made up of several people (myself included) that joined us from linkshells that recently disbanded. Many of these people are my closest friends on the game, and without a shell to welcome them all I wouldn't know many of them. We rarely pick the timing of our old linkshells going poof, it just happens - and often without warning. If tHS had its doors closed when several of the current members had linkshells break, the overall quality of the people in the shell would be weakened significantly. I'm sure glad it wasn't closed when I needed one. :/

We'll have to agree to disagree on this topic - no ill will, just really strikes a wrong chord somewhere in my brain when I think about it.

EDIT: Grammar police~

Last edited by Ninelives on Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

LuckyAlex
Why hasn't Lucky asked for a title yet?

Kelington wrote:
I just have a hard time seeing a difference between people joining now or a month from now. Growth is growth. And I doubt anyone is being accused of elitism. We all know better than that.

This is not about the poeple joining now or later, its all about making the people currently in the ls getting time to fully merge together before letting new people in.

The new people need time to get accustom to our rules and the people who have been longuer in the ls need time to know the new poeple better.

Striker should have made a better explanation post so that we could know what went on in the counsil forum.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Wumyamya
Ulmia's Soulmate

Quote:
We'll have to agree to disagree on this topic - no ill will, just really strikes a wrong chord somewhere in my brain when I think about it.

Well, think of it like this, because this is the perspective on what's happening to some of the HC members.

Would you like to just keep apps open, and keep on getting one or two new people a week so that you don't know over half the people on the shell? They don't know us, so they feel awkward asking for help. They don't know us so they don't just show up to help when asked because nobody has taken the time to get to know them. The veteran shell members don't know the new people, so when calls for help go out, they decide to hold back a bit until the new person has stepped up. If you ask me this spells disaster for our shell far more than any potential message closing applications for a brief time does.

I'd like to ask people who don't think this is a good idea to convince me and others why we should continue on as we have been, getting bigger and bigger and bigger. I don't think stopping to take a breath sends a bad message, and to be honest, if someone wrote a post like yours when they found out we'd closed our applications, Nine, I wouldn't want them in the shell, and neither would you (be honest, admit it). If someone asks, you just explain what's going on in the shell, that we're experiencing growing pains, and ask if they'd be willing to wait a few weeks. I don't see how this is a big deal.

I, too, was welcomed into this shell when mine died on the vine, , and I will always be grateful to tHS for that. This is why I want to see what we've built here protected. If that means limiting the size for a little while so the shell can reintegrate rather than breaking off into little cliques and factions*, I would rather go that route than just keep growing and getting to the point where most of the people on the shell are strangers to me rather than friends and acquaintances.

*There is always some of that, as some members are friendlier than others, and it probably does fall along lines of when you came into the shell, particularly if you came en masse from another shell. I just fear we run the risk of turning too much into that.

Wumy

Last edited by Wumyamya on Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Striker
I has Kikoku!

I do not know how I could have explained it any better.

We have had a lot of "veteran members" in the shell.

We have recently had a lot of "newbie members" join the shell.

"Veteran members" and "Newbie members" are having issues with one another, causing drama.

As a shell we don't like drama.

Allowing said parties to get used to each other before adding more parties to make the issues exponentially expand is what would I consider a good idea.

And although many of the non HC members haven't known about this, we have done the same thing about recruitment before. Stryker/Pav did it with FoTM, Prettz did it with HonourableSouls, and I have done it from time to time with tHS, the only difference for this time is that I thought to post it so ppl that want to join wouldn't post an app and then not hear from us for 3-4months, due to the massive amounts of ppl asking to join lately. ( for awhile now I've seen a new post in the recruitment boards every time I check the forum ) where as before we didn't have all that many ppl asking to join.

Kikoku Obtained 8/17/08

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

I don't play FFXI so I'm technically not a linkshell member anymore, so my opinion probably doesn't matter...but I feel this is the wrong thing to do.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
`·.,¸,.·*¯`·.,¸,.·*¯[;::;‹]ᵒᴥᵒ­­­­­­­­­­­­)›

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Hatake
Chocobo Rider

Striker wrote:
I do not know how I could have explained it any better.

We have had a lot of "veteran members" in the shell.

We have recently had a lot of "newbie members" join the shell.

"Veteran members" and "Newbie members" are having issues with one another, causing drama.

As a shell we don't like drama.

Allowing said parties to get used to each other before adding more parties to make the issues exponentially expand is what would I consider a good idea.

And although many of the non HC members haven't known about this, we have done the same thing about recruitment before. Stryker/Pav did it with FoTM, Prettz did it with HonourableSouls, and I have done it from time to time with tHS, the only difference for this time is that I thought to post it so ppl that want to join wouldn't post an app and then not hear from us for 3-4months, due to the massive amounts of ppl asking to join lately. ( for awhile now I've seen a new post in the recruitment boards every time I check the forum ) where as before we didn't have all that many ppl asking to join.

^

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Rants » Closed Apps??!!
 Page 1 of 2