FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Register Register 
The Honourable Souls
A Social Linkshell on FairySylph (FFXI) & Mysidia Ragnarok (FFXIV) 
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Rants » Yay healthcare!
  The time now is Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:27 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: Yay healthcare!  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

A lot of people I know tell me I should oppose healthcare reform because our government most likely isn't going to be able to provide and probably won't know how to handle it. I understand that the transition is rough, going from a severely corrupt private healthcare system to one that may be broken at first and may require some time to get it right, but after receiving my bill tonight, my convictions to support public healthcare reform strengthens.

I had insurance with Aetna at the time that I injured my knee in an attempt to get myself more healthy. I saw my physician when the pain started, he gave me a diagnosis and referred me to medication and treatment. I opposed medication but he insisted and I realized why. It wasn't just a pain killer, but something to help with the healing process while going to physical therapy. I went through about a month and a half of physical therapy, which prompted me to join a gym once therapy was done.

2 months after therapy is done, I received a bill despite insistence that I should owe no more to the physical therapy provider. My insurance coverage was suppose to cover physical therapy at 100% after copay, but it turns out they found some loophole that allows them to only pay 30% of the therapy costs and pawn the rest on me. Since my insurance provider only offered to pay 30%, the therapy provider is expecting to receive the rest of the payment in one large chunk before the end of the month.

I can't trust my insurance provider. Unfortunately, if I want to go to a provider outside of what my employer offers, I have to pay a significant amount and most likely will face the same problems. My employer has changed providers since my therapy, but I still can't trust them.

The only people I can see supporting this kind of criminal activity are people paid by the insurance companies to do so.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
`·.,¸,.·*¯`·.,¸,.·*¯[;::;‹]ᵒᴥᵒ­­­­­­­­­­­­)›

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Alananir
DocWilco

Living in a country where insurance is _mandatory_ and regulated by the government to have a maximum price for a base package, I have to say things aren't all that bad. I don't understand why so many people in the US balk at something that really can't be any worse, and just may be better.

Elemental Magic Skill 8/8 Lightning Magic Potency 4/4 Ice Magic Potency 3/3 Fire Magic Potency 3/3 MP 5/8
Freeze II 1/2 Burst II 1/3 Flame II 1/2 Flood II 1/1 Quake II 1/1 Tornado 1/1
Great Katana 8/8 Critical Hit Rate 4/4 Meditate 5/5 Store TP 5/5 Overwhelm 5/5 Shikikoyo 1/? Blade Bash 1/? STR 3/5
BLM75 SAM75 NIN66 WHM44 WAR40 RNG38 RDM37 THF37 DNC37 COR21 MNK20

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Fuja
Chocobo Rider

Incoming rant!

I live in Norway. One of the richest countries in the world, and we have "free" public health care. Believe it's not free as the name implies since you have to pay a share whenever you go to your doctor, get treatments and so on.
Granted you only pay a small share of the actual sum, but you're still paying. You pay like 41 dollars for your doc to examine you, more if he/she writes out a prescription. Medicines cost as well, but we have this arragement where you only pay up to a sum of money and then the state pays the rest.

Best part was when they changed the hospitals from being state owned to being their own companies. What happened is that the hospitals got even more debt than they already had. Last year's debt for the hospital I work for was around 4137154961.2762 dollars... So to save money they fire nurses, licensed practial nurses, doctors, cleaning personell and so on. What happens is that the queues got longer and longer since there are less people to treat the sick. All this while the Admin get fatter pockets from pay rises.

Imo the state should clear the debts our various hospitals have since how can they treat the sick when the sick have to wait months to get treatment and sometimes get even sicker while waiting. But that will so not happen even though the state has tons of money sitting in the oil fund that they would rather waste and send abroad then spend on making our health system better.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Striker
I has Kikoku!

Alananir wrote:
I don't understand why so many people in the US balk at something that really can't be any worse, and just may be better.

Because right now the only market that hasn't been effected by the "economy" is the healthcare market. The ppl that are making millions to billions of dollars in profits are the ones that are apposing the healthcare reform ie the Right wing biggits.

Do I think that the US government is going to get it right on the first try, no. Hell I doubt the gov't is going to get it right before the 4th or 5th try, because there will always be some consession made to the ppl that are standing to lose billions of dollars in profits.

The opposers say that it will cost to much money; but hospitals are already over billing ppl with insurance because of the fact that they are required to treat anyone that comes through the door, and lately with some of the insurance plans that have coming around ( the one that I have and those that I find out other ppl are getting forced on them ) its BETTER to not have insurance then to have it.

Case in point, if I got hurt and went for an ambulance ride, I'd have to pay atleast $1,400 just for the ambulance, then the 2-3 hrs in the ER is another $600, not to mention having to pay for any cat scans ($500) or Xrays or perscriptions. (prices I give are from my workmen's comp issue I had with wal-mart 2-3 years ago so the prices may not be the most accurate now) Now with the incident from 2-3 years ago I had a ambulance ride for 3 miles, stayed in the ER for 3 hrs, and had a cat scan, and a perscription; the total bill came to roughly $2,500, to which my "insurance plan" would say that I had to pay the whole thing out of pocket and they no responsibility until it got to $2,600 to which they covered everything over the $2,600 mark. And it gets better, if you have a family you want to cover with your "insurance" that $2,600 moves up to $3,400 ( those of you who have kids probally see the same problem I do ) Basically the insurance companies are pushing for this type of plan for the simple reason of "How often does one need $3,000 or more medical bills?" now also mind you I tried to get some questions answered from my provider as to whether the insurance would cover anything if I was more then 3 miles away, and they told me "Well you were submitted 2 seperate bills, both for under your deductable, so no we would not have covered your expenses had the total gone over $3,000" Tell me this is a good plan for the person who is paying for it?

Kikoku Obtained 8/17/08

TOP View user's profileSend private message  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Social Medicine  Reply with quote  

gillmaree
Why haven't you asked for a title yet?

I used to live in the UK, so have a pretty good grasp of what Social Medicine is all about. There are good arguments for and against, but I have to come down on the side of giving it a try because in the end, some health care for all is better than none.

I don't expect that it should be totally free, because in the UK we paid National Health Insurance premiums out of our paychecks, and those that could afford private insurance paid for it. Although I had to wait weeks sometimes for a doctors appointment, my prescriptions were free and I was monitored and taken care of very well (I am diabetic).

My concern is for the elderly and this is one of the cons. The perception was/is/could be, that our growing elderly population doesn't matter and should therefore get pushed to the back of the line (this happened to my father) and looked upon as a burden to society. So, as there is a distinction between the have's and have nots under the present system, there will also be one under social medicine, and probably not just limited to the elderly.

I don't know if any of you watched the news the other day, but there was a story about Doctors and Nurses who travel the world giving free health care. They were in Los Angeles and gave out 1500 coupons to people who stood for hours in line to get a chance at free healthcare. I think it's a very sad statement that this kind of need is necessary in one of the largest, richest and most powerful countries in the world. We can find billions upon billions of dollars to bail out our greedy financial institutions and car dealerships, we can pay millions of dollars to sports stars, but we can't find shelter for the homeless or feed our kids. Something wrong with the equasion don't you think?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

Fuja wrote:
I live in Norway. One of the richest countries in the world, and we have "free" public health care. Believe it's not free as the name implies since you have to pay a share whenever you go to your doctor, get treatments and so on.
Granted you only pay a small share of the actual sum, but you're still paying. You pay like 41 dollars for your doc to examine you, more if he/she writes out a prescription. Medicines cost as well, but we have this arragement where you only pay up to a sum of money and then the state pays the rest.

This perception that public healthcare is free is, in my opinion, a huge part of the problem when it comes to the informed public. It's not free. I pay a lot into medicare AS WELL AS my actual insurance. If public healthcare was put in place, my actual insurance would be replaced with whatever public insurance turns up. The difference would be that my insurance policy would be determined by the government, not by for profit legal and investment firms. Public healthcare is not free. Yes, your taxes will increase. OH MY GOD, I MIGHT PAY AS MUCH IN TAXES AS I USE TO PAY TO CORRUPT RACKETEERS. ...Where's the problem?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Wumyamya
Ulmia's Soulmate

Given my political leanings it's probably no surprise surprise to anyone that I support health care reform, though I think it should go further than what has been proposed. I think it's utterly ridiculous that someone living in the last remaining superpower on the planet can't go to see a doctor when they need to because it's too costly. Heath reform would break the backs of the insurance and pharmaceutical industry, which is long overdo, and it would solve many of the problems unions have with employers.

The insurance and pharmaceutical industry blew it big time. Their unchecked greed has driven the cost (in dollars, time and aggravation) of even basic health care in this country up to ridiculously high levels. Only the government is big enough, and has the authority to tell them they blew it, and then step in to offer an alternative. I have never objected to paying a fair share for healthcare, nor have I ever objected to higher taxes to cover people who can't afford it if it means that every man, woman, and child in this country can get the care that they need. Will there be people who game the system? Sure, but that fear shouldn't be the reason for not changing a system that has so catastrophically failed in the first place.

Yes, we will probably have to go through several iterations of government-run health care before we find a workable system. And even then, there will still be flaws in it. But there is no reason why we can't have a workable system, and the lobbyist and wingnuts who are fighting this know it. And rather than put forth a reasoned argument against the proposed plan, they just fall back on their old tactic of using fear. Obama's election should have sent them a clear message that we're tired of being told to be afraid. Their use of that tactic just shows, more than ever, how utterly bereft of ideas the right really is anymore.

Wumy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Mayeh
Hand of Heaven

I pay a health care tax annually (tacked onto my income tax), I think it is about $700. The tax is a surcharge on income tax so it is on a sliding scale, if you make under $22K a year it's free, if you are over $225K it is $900 I also have supplemental health coverage from work for about $250 a year. The plan is cafeteria style, where you pick what you want based on credits the employer gives. For a single person this is fine, but my brother who has a stay at home wife and soon to be two children, it costs him money to cover everyone.

The government pays for all doctor visits and hospital care. Almost all diagnostic services are also covered, I only remember one procedure where I had to pay about $30. My work plan covers glasses, and 66% to 80% of drugs, I am on several medications and the plan costs me less than if I paid for the drugs myself.

Today's Memo wrote:
At yesterday’s BTO meeting with Frank, they brought up the fact that many people are not satisfied with the service provided by Great West Life for any claims (things like being harassed to return to work early, GWL not believing the doctors when they say someone is sick, etc.). Karen Jodoin’s action was to confirm how employees should log their complaint. She’s referred them to the HR call centre.

A new life awaits you in the Off-world colonies! A chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!
- Blade Runner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:31 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

haule
Antica Addict

I here ya i got a similar but allot worse thing going on right know. My mom didnt have health insurance and was diagnosed with cancer 2 yrs ago, and today though cancer free she cant go a day without bill payers calling her. Rotten ????? even called her while she was going thru kemo and i was taking care of her. Tbh if i could of found them ppl i prolly would of went postal they were so rude to a sick person.... And know she is sitting on 500k in medical bills and some of these ppl are taking money out of her paycheck which is minimal at best so ppl who think we dont need healthcare go without and get sick then see how ya feal.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailYahoo Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:12 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Huit
Tarogpan Terrorizer

really sorry to hear that haul ><

by reading the above posts, seems like Australia is not too bad of a place to live in

I wouldn't go into specifice details, but a normal person would pay 1.5%pa of their income to the government for medical cover. This pretty much covers all my normal doctor visits, eyecheck etc... my friend recently had a brain surgery and it's free as well and only waited 3 days (note: it's not a life and death situation) for a public hospital to make the arrangement so i'm quite impressed. He stayed in the hospital while waiting.

so pretty much a lot of medical checkups here are free and if u need medicine, you need to pay upfront and can claim a proportion back.

If you want extra cover, eg contacts lenses, dentist, private hospitals, you can go for private insurance covers and to date, I haven't heard anyone complain about not getting a payment from insurance providers. My workmate got injured recently from playing soccer and his insurance provider is paying half of his physio costs. Another workmate of mine (who is smarter) got injured while playing soccer representing our firm and workplace is covering all costs.

Old people here gets a lot more benefits as they get extra gil (if they are not rich) from the government each year for medical purposes and extra discounts if they need medicine.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

After poking and prodding, they are "investigating." They said I'll likely not owe anything, and if I do, they'll send a "corrected" bill. I think I'm just delaying things.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

tears
:Long Live TheHonourableSouls:

so whens nims return gunna be Razz

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/1010/tearssc9.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

Nim is not returning to FFXI. I'm honestly not sure if I'll do another MMO. Aion looked great, but I refuse to put a rootkit on my computer just to play it.

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Rants » Yay healthcare!
 Page 1 of 1