FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Register Register 
The Honourable Souls
A Social Linkshell on FairySylph (FFXI) & Mysidia Ragnarok (FFXIV) 
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Rants » My PS3 Kicked The Bucket.
 Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next The time now is Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:47 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: My PS3 Kicked The Bucket.  Reply with quote  

Budoukiba
The Poor Neenja

Yeah.. So my PS3 finally died, I expected it to sooner but whatever. Apparently it's some power supply failure inside the machine. What happened was - I walked downstairs at about 5pm and noticed my PS3 was turned off, I figured my brother turned it off. I look at the front and the red/green lights are off so I'm like "what the hell"? -- For those of you who don't know how the PS3 works, when it's turned on a red light appears to let you know power is still being fed to the system, and when turned on, a green light appears to let you know that the system is running.

So I flip the switch in the back.. Nothing. I check the cables to make sure everything is plugged in, everything is fine. I even tried my second power cable and a different outlet. Finally! The red light comes on! I press the power button, the green light comes on! ..For a second.. Then shuts off to blank, so I go from Very Happy to Question then finally to Sad.

I call up the support line and explain to them what's going on. They tell me it's a power supply failure and I have to send it in. Well, here's the exciting part *drumroll* I have to pay $150! Woot! No, that sucks. Reason being, I don't have the money right now.

After I pay for this, it's gonna take 5-10 days for a box to get to my house so I can ship my console back inside. Also, seeing how it takes a week to send a box, god knows how long it'll be before I get my console back.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

nala
Weaver of Misfortunes

just wondering was this with your actual power cord or did you use a substitute? i remember you talking a few days back how your brother jacked your power cable.

TOP View user's profileSend private message  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Budoukiba
The Poor Neenja

I got mine back and I have a substitute.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Kade
The Duke of San d'Oria

For all the problems 360 has, at least microsoft owned up to thier mistakes and covered them in the warranty.

If Sony keeps charging 150$ to send in a bad PS3, it's gonna eventaully get to the point where it will be cheaper to get a used PS3 and swap out the Hard Drives.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/KadeFFXI?ref=profile

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Budoukiba
The Poor Neenja

My warranty expired.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:02 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Pyrobug
Why haven't you asked for a title yet?

Wow, if it's expired then I'm actually kind of surprised they're offering this at all. Still sucks, no mistake, but it's more than I expected from Sony.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailAIM Address  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Striker
I has Kikoku!

This is why I wait a couple of years before I buy one of the newer generation game systems. I think that the ps2 was out for 3 years before I got, and I still haven't gotten a ps3.

I just wait for them to finally work all the kinks out of them and then buy them Wink

Kikoku Obtained 8/17/08

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

I actually preordered my PS2, and it is still working to this day. I don't have it anymore, my cousin's kids do. There was a couple of revisions after that one where they went to using cheaper parts and they started breaking down early, then they were forced to fix it.

The PS3 and Xbox360 were rushed designs to try to beat the other out the door and make sales. They also resorted to cheaper parts to keep manufacturing costs down. It stopped being about making a quality product that lasted, and started being about doing whatever it takes to beat the other guy.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
`ท.,ธ,.ท*ฏ`ท.,ธ,.ท*ฏ[;::;‹]ᵒᴥᵒญญญญญญญญญญญญ)›

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Budoukiba
The Poor Neenja

Well the reason was becuase I stayed on XI and AFK'd overnight for like 2-3 consecutive days. I don't have an added cooling fan either.. so yeah. =/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:47 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Budoukiba
The Poor Neenja

Well I can't pay for this until I get paid again which is on July 12th.. Then I'll get this box the 17th-22nd, so I'll be back sometime late July.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Squitt
電 話 武 士

Careful, don't let Bat read that PS3's break, he'll have an aneurysm.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Budoukiba
The Poor Neenja

Well anything breaks through exhaustion. Not like other systems are better than PS3 on this, I was just unlucky.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Budoukiba
The Poor Neenja

I'm debating whether or not to just buy a used PS3 for under $150 and just swapping out the hard drives. I can't really find a gaming store around here that's carrying any though.. So I might have to try online, but I'm usually 'iffy' about buying online cause you don't know what you're getting. =/ But if I wait for Sony to repair this and everything... I'll be out til August without XI and that'd suck. I'm not a game addict lol, but I don't wanna fall behind my buddies that I'm lvling with. I mean, two weeks isn't bad but a month.. x.x

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Budoukiba
The Poor Neenja

Haha. Well, I found my solution. Wink

I'm just gonna buy a new power supply for an 80gb PS3, about $50 and have an electronics store replace it for me.. So I save 70-90 dollars and it won't take near as long! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Thebat
Crab Crusher

I count that as a win for sony and especially for budo. You cant do that with the crashbox! If your failbox dies then thats it and you have to either buy a new one that will most likely fail on you or you send it to get it "fixed" and have it fail on you again later. With the PS3 even though it sux that you have to pay for repairs, they still offer you the option for them to fix it when your warranty is expired. Its not the best thing but atleast sony does that. Great job at looking up your options budo. Take that squit!

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Rants » My PS3 Kicked The Bucket.
 Page 1 of 3