FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Register Register 
The Honourable Souls
A Social Linkshell on FairySylph (FFXI) & Mysidia Ragnarok (FFXIV) 
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Rants » My big beef
  The time now is Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:11 am 

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: My big beef  Reply with quote  

gillmaree
Why haven't you asked for a title yet?

What you will read below is not an attempt at censorship, because freedom of speech is a large part of this country's founding principles, but when it is used inappropriately and to the detriment of of others I find a need to respond, and this is what I wrote in response to someone who thinks, (not in THS) as a lot of players do that it is ok to be rude, crude and to harass others and who posted their views on a website in response to an original post regarding the use of certain terms. I have recently been stalked by a player who when confronted with what they did, claims "not to remember" doing it, what a cop out. Anyway, it's my soap box and I am proud to stand on it. I just want to have fun, I AM an old fuddy duddy, not perfect, but with a quick wit and wonderful sense of humor Very Happy

"I read your post on language issues. I guess if I have a beef it is because you are 19 and I am a fair bit older. I was taught to communicate without all the cuss words and sexual innuendo thrown in. I also know how to have fun without having to use either one. Just because you hear it everyday, see it on TV, listen to your parents and peers using it doesn't mean you have to. These things may be the accepted thing in modern culture and people like me who can speak a sentence without using profanity or sexual innuendo are frowned upon as being prudes or old fuddy duddy's. When I hear 10 year olds using the "F" word every other word, cussing out their parents or am in game and hear players /sh obscenities at each other, I have to wonder what planet they were born on. I can't use chat filters in real life, and I don't use them much in game because I can move away from what offends me. Bad language, sexual innuendo, stalking etc, are all forms of harassment, and when you start your full time real life career, I recommend you go to your HR department and read up on what constitutes harassment. I will not tolerate someone attempting to "rape", "hump" or call me "fugly", I don't care who they are. Nor will I tolerate the use of the word MF or MOFO. You get away with it in game because you can be annonymous and no-one holds you responsible or accountable for your actions. In real life you will be held accountable by someone sooner or later, and it may affect your ability to get or keep a job, to keep a spouse, to lose or not lose your children, so many things you don't even have a clue about yet. More importantly though, your FFXI "career" counts for nothing on a resume, it's how you present yourself to a potential employer, and how previous employers have seen you as a valued (or not) part of the team. "I TP burned Kirin" is not exactly an example of value. You are responsible for shaping your own future and building character, it's never too late.

Oh, and you are absolutely correct, most LS doesn't care about the people who leave, neither do the majority of endgame LS. If they did, they wouldn't have some of the people in them today that cause dissention with their poisonous personalities and gear grabbing, self serving mentalities. I would much rather see a LS with fewer good people in it than what I see today. Winning is not always everything, it's the participation and feeling you are a valued member of the overall team effort that is important. It's the opportunity to become a better player, to learn, to be helpful to others and not just have your own interests at heart. You win and lose as a team and by valuing others' contributions. I noted that the second you joined you asked for help with CoP and complained about exactly the kind of people (drunks, language, not showing up or late, etc) that some of us dislike as part of the reason you had not progressed in these Missions. I immediately offered help, but remember, you need to contribute to the LS to receive help. I don't mean by attending all events, we all can do that. I am talking about stepping forward quietly to help a fellow LS member accomplish something they might not have been able to without your assistance.

I have probably seen more, done more and heard more things in my lifetime than you ever will, I have used all the profanity, but in the end, I found that it turned people away. FFXI is just a game it is true, but how you behave in game usually reflects how you behave in real life.

Good luck to you."

TOP View user's profileSend private message  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Alananir
DocWilco

Hear hear!

Elemental Magic Skill 8/8 Lightning Magic Potency 4/4 Ice Magic Potency 3/3 Fire Magic Potency 3/3 MP 5/8
Freeze II 1/2 Burst II 1/3 Flame II 1/2 Flood II 1/1 Quake II 1/1 Tornado 1/1
Great Katana 8/8 Critical Hit Rate 4/4 Meditate 5/5 Store TP 5/5 Overwhelm 5/5 Shikikoyo 1/? Blade Bash 1/? STR 3/5
BLM75 SAM75 NIN66 WHM44 WAR40 RNG38 RDM37 THF37 DNC37 COR21 MNK20

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Harmoni

There is a certain ls where language seems to be a huge issue atm - things might have calmed down by now, but I chose to walk away and stopped reading the posts. Sometimes in THS people cross the line - it doesn't happen often but none of us are perfect! But I have always felt in THS that other people's views and wishes about language are generally respected without without the need to call people out about it . . . It's something I always took for granted and never rly appreciated until I saw how much bad feeling and unpleasantness could result when people dont respect how strongly some of us feel about it!

TOP   BOTTOM
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Budoukiba
The Poor Neenja

Sometimes I slip every now and then, but it isn't nothing bad. Typically it's just "Damn", but I say that whenever I mess up or something doesn't go the right way. Just being myself, and I respect the rules, the language also helps resolve conflicts before they even start; I have yet to see one conflict within the shell yet. Smile

I love this shell! Very Happy

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:57 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

flamedancer
Antica Addict

due to my attention span, i could not finish reading what was written down. however i think i was wrong to think this post as a failed beef stew.

H-Games for life

TOP View user's profileSend private messageAIM Address  BOTTOM

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Rants » My big beef
 Page 1 of 1