FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Register Register 
The Honourable Souls
A Social Linkshell on FairySylph (FFXI) & Mysidia Ragnarok (FFXIV) 
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Rants » Being Told "How To Do Your Job!"
  The time now is Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:01 pm 

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Being Told "How To Do Your Job!"  Reply with quote  

Budoukiba
The Poor Neenja

Okay, this is the ONE worst thing you can ever say to me -- How to play my job!

Seriously, to me, this has got to be one of the biggest insults you could possibly infer to me on FFXI. I know how to play my WHM, I've been playing it for four years. I understand at times you'll see me mess up, but that's only because of a malfunction of the mind, as I like to call it, or lag. I've always been told that it's much more "normal" and "less hectic" to macro every single spell in your spellbook. Well let me tell you, after playing my WHM for four years, I've memorized my spellbook. (<-- Very helpful tactic at times). And yes, I have a few spells macro'd here and there such as buffs (Tect/Shell), and SS/Haste/Aquaveil/Regen/Flash on my /NIN macro set. The fact of the matter is, to me it's easier to whip through my spellbook and just hit a spell, make it happen. Besides, it causes me to become more alert and productive than to just chill and hit 'Ctrl+3' to cast 'Cure IV'. For a White Mage, it is almost imperative to stay alert if you want to look good, I've had many outstanding comments on my performance in EXP/merit parties in both activeness and MP conservation.

Now for the WHM/NIN scenerio. Yes, I've been told that WHM isn't a DD job, nor a tank. I realize this, WHM has an EVA cap @ 200 without any help from merits. But if you think to yourself, those that are more open-minded tend to accomplish more than people that just go with the flow. I'm proud to be a WHM, and I think we get less credit than we should, no offense to the RDMs or SCHs, you guys do good jobs, but the main healing should stick to the job that it was meant to be for. But playing as /NIN is a thrilling and exciting experience for me because it allows me to try new things, push myself to my limits as WHM, and develop strategy/tactic before I move on to a 'Front Line Job'.

Believe it or not, I was mocked and made fun of in one of my old shells because I played WHM/NIN, simply because they stated that it was a "dumbass job combination". Let me get this straight, I've killed off quite a few jobs in PvP in a 1-on-1 match, not to gloat, but to prove a point. Jobs include RDM, BLM, SAM, hell even a PLD, as well as others. WHMs should be proud of what they do and not limit theirselves just because the RDM is apparently the 'superior mage', and that the SCH has the whole 'Sublimation' ability, and the AoE ability. The reason why I'm not too fond of RDM or SCH players is because they seem too cocky, and a lot of them can be assholes to the "lower mage class". There is no MAGE CLASS, it's simply skill. Of course, gear makes a differnece, but that shouldn't define how you play, it should just buff what you can do, and you should know how to rightly use said gear.

I don't mean to offend anybody if I did, I'm just a little angry and wound up. Rant over.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

flamedancer
Antica Addict

whm/nin is pwn.

H-Games for life

TOP View user's profileSend private messageAIM Address  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Tibz
There and Back Again

I'm not very fond of whm anymore, I'll only play it if you need it. Otherwise i'm much happier on blm or smn. Also talk to wumy about this sch being better nonsense shes got both lvled up and cerr makes her come whm all the time! :O

TOP View user's profileSend private message  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Cerrawan
Why haven't you asked for a title yet?

That is completely false. I make wumy come as brd quite a bit too.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Harmoni

Play and let Play I say!!!! regardless of what job you are we all mess up at times :oops: we all do it - so we all need to try to be more tollerant of little gaming blips! As far as job choice is concerned I dont see what's wrong with adding a little spice to the mix - I am full of envy and admiration for anyone who can level a mage job and i've seen more than one whm/pld whip my wussy pld

TOP   BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Wumyamya
Ulmia's Soulmate

I'm not above making kind suggestions in tell if I see a WHM not doing something I think they ought to be doing. Like the WHM in Crawler's Nest, when I was leveling RDM at 40ish. She was cure bombing, using a ton of mp, and hate was all over. I sent her a tell saying I was a WHM75 and would she be open to any suggestions. She glomped onto that, so I asked if she had the regen spells, then coached her on how to do that. Party started chaining like crazy, and I still talk to this WHM to this day (she is now WHM75). It was a great experience.

If my tells get rebuffed, then I don't pursue it. If the party is really bad because of that one particular individual, I just start looking for a replacement. If I feel I'm doing a bad job (and that happens from time to time) I volunteer to leave, or find a rep and apologize to the party.

So I think it is OK to offer pointers to someone if you think they could do a better job. But it's better not to push it, because, at the end of the day, it is just a game.

Wumy

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Budoukiba
The Poor Neenja

Well, exactly. Pointers and advice are nice, I do that as well for a lot of the WHMs I know. But when people tell you that you CANNOT do something, it makes it seem that they're trying to control how you do your job seemingly by force, and not giving suggestions that the person can actually choose to follow.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:00 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

haule
Antica Addict

well for me its bad experience with whms trying to dd and not doing there job which in the end is healing. If im a DD who pulls hate and the whm is swinging a club and letting me die ya im gonna get a little upset. Other then that i see nothing wrong with whm ddin but to me its more of a solo thing.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailYahoo Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Budoukiba
The Poor Neenja

Well, I'm not saying DD in an exp party. Your job would be to heal and ensure that the others are kept alive and well. But if they die while you're trying your hardest, it's not your fault. And the only times I DD are when I duo with Haam or solo.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Pyrobug
Why haven't you asked for a title yet?

All valid points, but I wouldn't be too proud of beating blms in a 1 on 1 fight. It basically boils down to:

BLM: Haha, foolish fool. I will put you to sleep, and then destroy you with the might of my ANCIENT MAGICS *Magics magics magics* Prepare for oblivion!

Blm casts Sleep 2.

Whm resists.

Whm casts Paralyze 2. Blm is paralyzed.

Blm: -_- I don't like you.

Blm casts paralanya.

Blm: Now then...hey, what are you doing with those sticks Oh God! Ow Ow Ow! Stop it, hey! Ow!

Blm casts Stun. Whm is stunned

Blm casts Bind

Whm is no longer stunned

Whm is bound.

Blm runs back.

Blm: Haha! Now the tables have turned!

Blm begins casting Flare II.

Whm casts Blink. Whm gains the effect of blink.

Blm: .....really starting to hate you, now.

Blm's casting is interrupted.

Whm is no longer bound.

Blm: ; ; Ow OW ow OW owwie OUCH Ow Stop it OW oh god the pain Ow!

*repeat until blm is a broken pile of dreams, poor balancing, and incompetence*

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailAIM Address  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Alananir
DocWilco

Yeah, for as long as I've played BLM, I've always acknowledged that Black Mages are very much a team class. They cannot function at their best alone.

In my early days, I've had a lot of adventures with a MNK/WAR friend, and the combination of the tanking damage dealer and healing black mage was quite effective.

Elemental Magic Skill 8/8 Lightning Magic Potency 4/4 Ice Magic Potency 3/3 Fire Magic Potency 3/3 MP 5/8
Freeze II 1/2 Burst II 1/3 Flame II 1/2 Flood II 1/1 Quake II 1/1 Tornado 1/1
Great Katana 8/8 Critical Hit Rate 4/4 Meditate 5/5 Store TP 5/5 Overwhelm 5/5 Shikikoyo 1/? Blade Bash 1/? STR 3/5
BLM75 SAM75 NIN66 WHM44 WAR40 RNG38 RDM37 THF37 DNC37 COR21 MNK20

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Telmaski
Tarutaru Murder Suspect

In before ****-storm about FFXI PVP and BLM vs WHM tactics.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Fuja
Chocobo Rider

My problem is how to tell someone in my limbus shell who really can't play her job at all how to do it. I'm so sick of dying because she's incompetent and can't even gear her whm properly at all. She has gear, but just doesn't use it expect for town gear. Yesterday I was so tempted to write a guide on how to play whm for her and post it on our limbus forums. But I guess that would be too bitchy of me Very Happy

TOP View user's profileSend private messageMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Veluis
Chocobo Rider

well we wouldn't want that XD

Veluis dances on your grave.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail  BOTTOM

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Rants » Being Told "How To Do Your Job!"
 Page 1 of 1