FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Register Register 
The Honourable Souls
A Social Linkshell on FairySylph (FFXI) & Mysidia Ragnarok (FFXIV) 
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » FFXI Discussions » Some BCNM Questions
 Goto page 1, 2  Next The time now is Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:35 am 

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Some BCNM Questions  Reply with quote  

Koiji
Paragon of Pirate Excellence

Alright, I've never done a BCNM, but I'm interested in doing a few now. I've got about 320 seals sitting in my MH, and I just hit level 40 on my WAR last night.

I don't need anything from these BCNMs, I just want some money. Very Happy So here are my questions:

1) How are these typically organized? How many people bring orbs? Who gets the loot? How is the money divided?

2) What are some good BCNMs to do at level 30 or 40, where I would be useful as a WAR?

TOP View user's profileSend private message  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Maj
Saint Subligar

Usually when you do a BCNM, everyone participating brings an orb. There are normally two ways to distribute loot.

1) Your orb, your drops: Just what it says, you keep what drops on your run. This is the way pickup parties do it 99% of the time.

2) Full split: Everyone pools the loot from all the runs together, and then you split the profit evenly between all who participated.

For 40, I've heard that Royal Jelly is great for WAR, you can ask Yuron or Doc for more information on that one, since they do it often.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageAIM AddressMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

danakate
aka Grace Abernathy

Organization: Someone's gotta be the leader. If you want to do BCNMs, then you pretty much default to being the leader. Very Happy

Being the leader lets you set the rules, although you should probably get concurrence from the other BCNM members since, you know, you can't do it without them. Whenever I've done BCNMs, I've done it witha group of people I know, so that probably affects how you want to do loot splitting. I've generally gone with the rule of "if you bring an orb, we'll split the profits equally". Some people employ the "if you bring an orb, you get dibs on anything that drops in the run that happens with your orb". I find the latter a little unfair, though, since I think most BCNMs don't have guaranteed drops.

If someone doesn't have an orb but wants an item, it's up to the group as a whole if they let them only have the item or the item and a smaller portion of the money from the rest of the goods, etc (especially if it's a pickup group). In my mind, not having an orb sort of kills any right that you have to demand anything. Wink

As for BCNMs themselves, I've only really done one: Royal Jelly. It's a BCNM 40 for 3 people and WAR does well in it due to the fact that WAR is the only job that will have Double Attack at that level. I've done it as a WAR/MNK (having ranged is helpful for those moments when you do get bound and it hasn't been removed, yet, if it can). I've personally done it with WHM, WAR, WAR and WHM, WAR, SAM. I know people who've done it with WHM, DRG, DRG or BLM instead of WHM. There are many configurations that will work, but, as I said, WAR will do well in it.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Dunador
Chuck Norris Wannabe

I cant say much as to how its organized, jsut that i do know for a fact that WAR is indeed very good for Royal Jelly, that ones also good for some cash, as Erase, Ni, Archer's Rings, and Marksmans Rings drop from it. The BEST class to play that one as is DRG, as its been proven that the jelly's take more damage from polearms for some reason. But any class that doesnt use blunt weapons (I.E. monks -.-) are good at it. If you considering doing it, ive done it a few times, as monk believe it or not, and won. Best strat is whm/blm, and 2x DD's (we went whm/blm, drg/war, mnk/war. I sucked as mnk, and we decided in the future that if i went again as mnk, i'd use staff for the elemental weapon skills >.<). Thats just my own personal experience though. Sorry i cant offer anything else.
GW2 - Retired: Dunador Serestil - Mesmer - Maguuma
Steam Handle: Dunador (Profile Link)

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Bristow
Caster of Disaster

If u want some help with one Koiji let me know, my pockets are running on empty as well. I've done a few different kinds before. But I can bring
blm, whm, blu, or drg to one.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Dunador
Chuck Norris Wannabe

>.> i wouldnt mind doing one either, ive lived FFXI poor, and im tired of it >.>, if my antican run doesnt go, then ill do one with you guys if you plan one. I can only come to 40+'s as MNK, 30's as WAR, MNK, and WHM if i level it more. 20's as MNK, WAR< WHM, SAM, and maybe soon to be BLU.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Striker
I has Kikoku!

As for the organization I'd recomend getting some ppl that you know, and ask them to join you, that way you don't have to worry about a hole lot of drama that is usually associated with the pick up bcnms...

now the way that I've usually done it is 1 of 2 ways
1.) everyone brings an orb ( though if you need someone and they don't have an orb is fine ), and the hole kit and kabootal is sold gil goes to those who brought an orb, with a small amount going to ppl that didn't bring an orb mainly due to bcnms cost gil between meds and food: this is to be agreed upon before the run and decided gil amount after values of drops are determined..
2.) someone is doing this particular bcnm to get an item that drops from it, ie Journy pata's for mnk from the Undying Promises bcnm, or Erase scroll for whm's in various bcnms.. however if this person wish to claim that particular item they forgo the most profits ( generally they are treated like a person without an orb and given some gil to account for the gil they used for the fights )

I personally like the 2nd option because it doesn't depend on 3-6 major item drops to fall in order for ppl to be able to afford the items that they need, and it doesn't require them spending a crap load of gil that frankly the item that they need isn't worth it hence why they are probally doing the bcnm in the first place...

for a prime example right now I'm saving up my bstmen seals to do Celery BCNM60 which drops an elusive earring which I want for my NIN, when I go I ask that I may have 1 or 2 earrings that could drop, and give up the rest of the items for those that are going with me...

Kikoku Obtained 8/17/08

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Koiji

Cool, thanks for all the replies everyone.

I'll probably just see who's online/available this weekend for Royal Jelly run, since that requires only 3 people.

Kade tried to set up a Steamed Sprouts run a month ago, which looks like it never took place. Since people seem to be interested in spending some of their seals, I'll set up another attempt at Steamed Sprouts for a couple weeks from now.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

danakate
aka Grace Abernathy

If you need a WHM or WAR for Royal Jelly when you want to go and I'm on, let me know. I can't spare any seals at the moment, but I'll gladly give up all the winnings to help you out if you need it. Smile I haven't done a run of it for a while, but it's been a blast every time. I even have a video of one of our runs, complete with TeamSpeak audio. XD

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Alananir
DocWilco

danakate wrote:
I even have a video of one of our runs, complete with TeamSpeak audio. XD

http://drwilco.net/movies/2005-04-17.royal-jelly.run-02.with-ts-audio.avi

Dug around on my laptop =)

Please note, this is after a few runs, so we got it down pretty well by then, hence the smooth routine.

BCNMs tend to be a lot different from exping, since there's all sorts of weird circumstances around. These Slimes for instance, are totally weak to physical damage, and very resistant to magic. And if they reach the middle, they merge into the Queen, which is a lot harder to fight, so you maximize damage output in any way you can, so you don't get the Queen. Double Attack is pretty damn good, also Berserk from the start, since if it's fast, WHM should have enough MP to keep people alive with juices going. Also note, I'm meleeing, before I cast anything. And on later runs I even made Haste the priority over buffs. It's totally worth it.

In the end I think our fastest run was 4 minutes 7 seconds, and we still had things we wanted to finetune. We just never got around to having time/seals to go again before Slade quit the game. Crying or Very sad

Elemental Magic Skill 8/8 Lightning Magic Potency 4/4 Ice Magic Potency 3/3 Fire Magic Potency 3/3 MP 5/8
Freeze II 1/2 Burst II 1/3 Flame II 1/2 Flood II 1/1 Quake II 1/1 Tornado 1/1
Great Katana 8/8 Critical Hit Rate 4/4 Meditate 5/5 Store TP 5/5 Overwhelm 5/5 Shikikoyo 1/? Blade Bash 1/? STR 3/5
BLM75 SAM75 NIN66 WHM44 WAR40 RNG38 RDM37 THF37 DNC37 COR21 MNK20

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Dunador
Chuck Norris Wannabe

>.> ive done Royal Jelly 3 times... as a monk.... i really enjoy doing it, but jelly's and monks just dont go well together, ya know? >.> so i figured next time i do it, id have to bring a staff for the elemental WS's >.< alot of people didnt like that suggestion.

Ive gotta level SAM up to 40 at least... or BLU... ya i think ill do BLU XD

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Alananir
DocWilco

Dunador wrote:
>.> ive done Royal Jelly 3 times... as a monk.... i really enjoy doing it, but jelly's and monks just dont go well together, ya know? >.> so i figured next time i do it, id have to bring a staff for the elemental WS's >.< alot of people didnt like that suggestion.

Ive gotta level SAM up to 40 at least... or BLU... ya i think ill do BLU XD

Why? Royal Jelly jellies aren't weak to elemental damage, they're weird like that. Just stick to H2H and just do anything to increase your damage. Berserk for instance, and Focus & Strength/Attack food.

Elemental Magic Skill 8/8 Lightning Magic Potency 4/4 Ice Magic Potency 3/3 Fire Magic Potency 3/3 MP 5/8
Great Katana 8/8 Critical Hit Rate 4/4 Meditate 5/5 Store TP 5/5 Overwhelm 5/5 Shikikoyo 1/? Blade Bash 1/? STR 3/5

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Koiji

Are all H2H weapons considered Blunt damage? Katars should be considered Stabby damage, if anything.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Alananir
DocWilco

I believe all claws are considered blunt, as odd as that may be.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Royal Jelly  Reply with quote  

danakate
aka Grace Abernathy

The one thing about Royal Jelly that always made me go "huh?": the jellies don't act like normal jellies.

In a way, it's good. In others, it's bad. I mean, they normally are pretty weak to magical damage and they spam that darn Fluid Toss/Spread thing of theirs. In the BCNM, though, they're weak to melee pointy attacks and don't toss that stupid fluid.

Anyway, the strategy I've gone with pretty much goes like this: all 3 people start hacking away at the nearest jellies. When there are four left, one of the melee splits off to the opposite side. The arena is small enough that the healer won't have a problem healing the melee that splits off.

My biggest problem when doing this was defeating the stupid auto-target. I would often lose precious time trying to tab around to the correct, nearest jelly. >_<

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » FFXI Discussions » Some BCNM Questions
 Page 1 of 2