FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Register Register 
The Honourable Souls
A Social Linkshell on FairySylph (FFXI) & Mysidia Ragnarok (FFXIV) 
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Rants » When Political Corectness Goes Too Far...
 Goto page 1, 2  Next The time now is Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:11 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: When Political Corectness Goes Too Far...  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

Quote:
Holiday

Festive Seasonal Holiday Observance Flora have been placed in the following Secularly Oriented Locations:

You may find Secular Head Dressing placed underneath the Festive Seasonal Holiday Observance Flora as well. Seasons Greetings from the AFS.

http://www.rgtr.com/news/patch_notes/patch_notes_and_known_issues_1211.html

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
`·.,¸,.·*¯`·.,¸,.·*¯[;::;‹]ᵒᴥᵒ­­­­­­­­­­­­)›

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Legovial
Tarogpan Terrorizer

Rolling Eyes

I don't get why Christmas is politically incorrect but Hanukkah is ok. Not bashing anyone tbh - but Hanukkah is clearly a religious holiday or at least has a basis in the Jewish religion. So it's ok to celebrate a miracle of oil but not the birth of a very influential person in history?

I actually don't understand why religion makes people uncomfortable to begin with. I believe what I believe - you believe what you believe. The problem lies with people trying to tell other people they're wrong. People celebrate in their own way for their own reasons - trying to make everything unoffensive to everyone just ends up offending people tbh.

Not to derail your rant Nimdae...

TOP View user's profileSend private message  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

Not a derail at all, perfectly on topic. Seriously. If you believe in Christmas, celebrate it. If you believe in Hanukkah, celebrate it. Whatever you believe, celebrate it. Just don't call the other people celebrating something else wrong and vice versa.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

sopoRific
Ovinnik Overlord

This could be explained away as the developers going over the top for comedic effect or trying to keep continuity in-game if our Earth religions don't exist in the game.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Striker
I has Kikoku!

Legovial wrote:

I actually don't understand why religion makes people uncomfortable to begin with. I believe what I believe - you believe what you believe. The problem lies with people trying to tell other people they're wrong. People celebrate in their own way for their own reasons - trying to make everything unoffensive to everyone just ends up offending people tbh.

You hit it on the nail there lego, various ppl believe various things. I just there are a few ( the more outspoken ones ) that think "I believe this so should everyone else. If you think otherwise you're evil" and its that stupid mantality that brought about the whole PC crazy =/

Kikoku Obtained 8/17/08

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Wumyamya
Ulmia's Soulmate

I think their wording is hilarious, and I have been dying laughing ever since I read it. It's obviously a joke on the whole "War on Christmas" baloney, and a good one at that. I love it.

Quote:
The problem lies with people trying to tell other people they're wrong.

QFT. As an atheist, I have people trying to convert me all the time, or say they are going to pray for my soul, and it is beyond insulting, and I have no qualms about telling them how much they have offended me. If they persist, I counter that I feel duty bound to save them from their ridiculous insistence on believing in an obviously bastardized mythology that has stolen the best parts of numerous pagan and other belief systems over the centuries in a vain attempt at legitimacy, and which has debased itself by mistaking the celebration of its (pagan originating) high holy days with corrupt and all-consuming capitalism. If nothing else, the big words usually flumox them enough that I can make my escape.

Wumy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Razzlette
Tarogpan Terrorizer

Not sure how true it is but I heard somewhere that they were trying to get the Santa’s "Ho Ho Ho" changed to "He He He" because it was defensive to women lol. Why don't people leave Christmas alone & let the kids enjoy it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nama
Ovinnik Overlord

Razzlette wrote:
Not sure how true it is but I heard somewhere that they were trying to get the Santa’s "Ho Ho Ho" changed to "He He He" because it was defensive to women lol. Why don't people leave Christmas alone & let the kids enjoy it.

yep it was at a mall in the carolinas i think and they wanted the mall santas to use a lighter tone when they said it so not to scare the kids XD

Every Drop of Sweat in Training is One Less Drop of Blood in Battle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Legovial
Tarogpan Terrorizer

Wumyamya wrote:
duty bound to save them from their ridiculous insistence on believing in an obviously bastardized mythology that has stolen the best parts of numerous pagan and other belief systems over the centuries in a vain attempt at legitimacy, and which has debased itself by mistaking the celebration of its (pagan originating) high holy days with corrupt and all-consuming capitalism.

This made me laugh. Mostly because, even though I feel very strongly about my Christian beliefs, I feel the overwhelming urge to tell these people the same thing! It makes me so mad to hear obviously ignorant people try to legitimize their beliefs by telling other people they're wrong. I am convinced of what I believe, not because someone told me to believe it but because I've extensively studied myself and have reasons for everything. If someone else has done the same, who am I to tell them they're wrong because they've come to a different conclusion?

Ugh - I got interrupted by work and now I've lost my train of thought. Probably good since I love a good discussion and I could go back and forth for awhile.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

sopoRific wrote:
This could be explained away as the developers going over the top for comedic effect or trying to keep continuity in-game if our Earth religions don't exist in the game.

After I thought about it for a while, it did seem very over the top enough to be a joke, or to exaggerate the mentality to show how stupid it is.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Emeraldrae
Honourable Artist

Personally, I'm agnostic, but I celebrate Catholic holidays with my family (partially because I'd be skinned alive if I didn't Laughing ). I get panic attacks in churches, so I'm only forced to go to Midnight Mass on the 24th of December. I've even gotten out of Easter Mass Very Happy

Emer's Main Gallery
Last Updated: February ('13)
Emer's Scraps
Last Updated: July ('13)

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

I'm not Christian myself, but I celebrate with my family whatever it is my family will celebrate. My family is mostly non-denominational Christian, given my grandfather was Mormon, my grandmother is Methodist (I think), I have Catholic cousins, and my parents went to non-denominational churches even though my mom is pretty much Baptist.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Mayeh
Hand of Heaven

Got this in my e-mail this morning, my sister received this from a cow-orker.
Random Guy at the Office wrote:
Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or the secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious or secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all.

May you have a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2008, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped to make our country the uniquely wonderful place that it is (not to imply that our country is necessarily greater than any other country, including yours, should yours be different from mine, but nonetheless including and recognizing the distinctiveness of our country) and without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith, political belief, choice of computer platform or sexual preference of the wishee.

By accepting this greeting, you are accepting the following terms:

This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It is freely transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for herself or himself or others, is void where prohibited by law and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher, who assumes no responsibility for any unintended emotional stress these greetings may bring to those not caught up in the holiday spirit. This wish is warranted to perform as expected within the usual application of good tidings for a period of one year, or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first. Warranty is limited to replacement of this wish or issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wisher.

A new life awaits you in the Off-world colonies! A chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!
- Blade Runner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Bristow
Caster of Disaster

Seriously? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Mayeh
Hand of Heaven

Yes, she received it, but I think it is meant as joke.

A new life awaits you in the Off-world colonies! A chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!
- Blade Runner

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Rants » When Political Corectness Goes Too Far...
 Page 1 of 2