FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Register Register 
The Honourable Souls
A Social Linkshell on FairySylph (FFXI) & Mysidia Ragnarok (FFXIV) 
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Rants » I have much contempt for Vista
  The time now is Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:47 am 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: I have much contempt for Vista  Reply with quote  

Tibz
There and Back Again

I'm having problems getting my gigabit lan up to speed and my xp computers can't get into my shares.

I'v franticly been trying hotfix and cmd lines I'v randomly googled but nothing it getting up past that 10meg/s

Come all you networking gurus! Help D:

TOP View user's profileSend private message  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Striker
I has Kikoku!

its been my experience that vista doesn't like ppl that know anything about computers at all. When I got my laptop I kept vista on it so I could experiment, after taking 15min to setup the network I got frustrated and actually looked at the help/support, to find out that the network settings are buried sooooo deep that you couldn't accidently stumble upon them ( could be good or bad depending on your knowledge of computers ) but then I might've saved myself a lot of frustration by using a wizard but I hate wizards...

Sorry I can't help you with this one.

Kikoku Obtained 8/17/08

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:51 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Tibz
There and Back Again

I think I ran up into a Home ver limitation >_> my friend was telling me xp used to do that too, but i'v only ever really done xp pro so I was unaware D:

Altho still no idea about the lan speeds:(

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

It's been revealed that microsoft is limiting network performance in Vista in order to improve the "user experience". For example, if you play sound...any sound...anything going to the sound card...your network is throttled. At first, microsoft denied there was a real issue, then they downplayed it. Eventually, they revealed what was going on and will be releasing an update where throttling is not near as severe.

Try making sure the Vista computer is completely idle, no sound or anything going on.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
`ท.,ธ,.ท*ฏ`ท.,ธ,.ท*ฏ[;::;‹]ᵒᴥᵒญญญญญญญญญญญญ)›

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Wumyamya
Ulmia's Soulmate

If you want to run Vista properly, get a Mac!

Cool

Wumy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

In all honesty, I'd recommend going back to XP. Stability isn't just about whether something runs or crashes, but how well it runs. Vista is still not stable.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Tibz
There and Back Again

Problem with my XP is that its ARRRRRRRR Pirated, I buy vista and look where it gets me lol!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Zero
Why haven't you asked for a title yet?

Sure, your network hardware and router may support 1GB/s, but what are the odds the rest of your hardware can keep up? Paticuarly with hard drive speed and bus speeds. Another thing to consider is the use of RAM and your CPU and if the hardware is on board, it takes quite a few more resources to use the networking hardware. A last thing to consider, while not a big deal, is your media (meaning the wire between point a and b). If you want blazing though, crossover cable the two of them directly to each other.

-Zero

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

Trust me, it's Vista. It's a very well known issue.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=726

One of many articles about it. Google Wink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Alananir
DocWilco

And a GigE switch is not going to form a problem, trust me. Razz

Elemental Magic Skill 8/8 Lightning Magic Potency 4/4 Ice Magic Potency 3/3 Fire Magic Potency 3/3 MP 5/8
Freeze II 1/2 Burst II 1/3 Flame II 1/2 Flood II 1/1 Quake II 1/1 Tornado 1/1
Great Katana 8/8 Critical Hit Rate 4/4 Meditate 5/5 Store TP 5/5 Overwhelm 5/5 Shikikoyo 1/? Blade Bash 1/? STR 3/5
BLM75 SAM75 NIN66 WHM44 WAR40 RNG38 RDM37 THF37 DNC37 COR21 MNK20

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Zero
Why haven't you asked for a title yet?

Meh. I don't have similar issues. But the one thing I have to mention, is if you're contempt with Vista, why are you complaining about it?

-Zero

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Tibz
There and Back Again

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/contempt
1. The feeling or attitude of regarding someone or something as inferior, base, or worthless; scorn.

Aka I hate it Neutral

SataII has a 3.0 Gbit/s tranferate I have a 2.4quadcore 4gigs of ram

I should be able to get higher then 10meg/s

My brothers computer is XP with two 3.4xeons 2 gigs of ram and sataI hdds so 1.5 Gbit/s

Hardware shoun't be a problem but I guess I could look into some new cat6, altho I googled around and it seams gbit transfers should work on cat5s

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

Good quality CAT5 will support 10gbit transfers. It's not the cable. It's Vista. I've read the limit is not in per second, but per nanosecond. While 10kpps is not easy to achieve on 100mbit connections, 10 packets per nanonsecond in bursts is very easy. When you consider this with idle sleeps and whatnot, you finally see how a 10kpps limit can have a significant impact.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Alananir
DocWilco

Tibz wrote:
SataII has a 3.0 Gbit/s tranferate I have a 2.4quadcore 4gigs of ram

I should be able to get higher then 10meg/s

Though I agree 10MB/s is rather low, you will not ever see anything near 3gbit/s. Even though the interface has such a transfer rate, spindles just can't pump out that kind of data rate. Even a Cheetah 15K drive (heavy duty server grade) has transfer rates between 80 and 135MB/s. That's nowhere near the 300MB/s that SATA2 can do. A normal desktop SATA drive will top out anywhere between 30 and 70 MB/s. If you get a Raptor, which is quite expensive, you can see up to 90 MB/s, but that's the absolute maximum that disk does. Average is more around 70.

Still, you should be able to average 30-40 MB/s easy. Like Nimmy said, it's not the hardware.

10MB/s though, that's awfully coincidental. It matches really well with 100Mbit/s. Are you sure there's not a link in the chain that's 100Mbit/s instead of GigE?

Elemental Magic Skill 8/8 Lightning Magic Potency 4/4 Ice Magic Potency 3/3 Fire Magic Potency 3/3 MP 5/8
Freeze II 1/2 Burst II 1/3 Flame II 1/2 Flood II 1/1 Quake II 1/1 Tornado 1/1
Great Katana 8/8 Critical Hit Rate 4/4 Meditate 5/5 Store TP 5/5 Overwhelm 5/5 Shikikoyo 1/? Blade Bash 1/? STR 3/5
BLM75 SAM75 NIN66 WHM44 WAR40 RNG38 RDM37 THF37 DNC37 COR21 MNK20

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Tibz
There and Back Again

I can get a absolute max of 13mb/s thats the highest I'v seen it go after I replaced my old switch, but normally shes around 5-7

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Rants » I have much contempt for Vista
 Page 1 of 1