FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Register Register 
The Honourable Souls
A Social Linkshell on FairySylph (FFXI) & Mysidia Ragnarok (FFXIV) 
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Rants » What is more fun than removing compilation warnings?
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 The time now is Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:00 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

C# is a .net language. It can be compiled into native windows code, but it generally runs within .net...or mono in unix environments.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
`·.,¸,.·*¯`·.,¸,.·*¯[;::;‹]ᵒᴥᵒ­­­­­­­­­­­­)›

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

sopoRific
Ovinnik Overlord

Zero wrote:
Does C# or J# use something like the JRE as a container/virtual machine/whatever you want to call it?

-Zero

I thought C# used the .NET stuff for applications.

And "LOL" at the xkcd comic.

And finally, because I'm some kind of masocist, C psuedo-objects > all.

TOP View user's profileSend private message  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Weepingsoul
Beetle Basher

FYI - I would love to get those kind of compile messages. My company still uses JCL, Assembler, COBOL..... yah for the 1950s!! I'm so glad I got all that ther college stuff in my head.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Mayeh
Hand of Heaven

Hey, almost all of our core applications run on a mainframe in COBOL. We use Host on Demand from IBM to send data between mid-tier (my world) and the host. Nothing like trying to reduce transaction volumes to bring down MIPs. Very Happy

A new life awaits you in the Off-world colonies! A chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!
- Blade Runner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

TheDad
Crawler Trainer

Mayeh said:
Hey, almost all of our core applications run on a mainframe in COBOL.

Weepy is not as old as you or I either, the big whiner.

We do work with a fellow who while in the Navy met Grace Hopper, probably by running into her and causing her to drop her box of punch cards.
The story goes that Graces mom would not let her date him as he was to old. Laughing Now if the applications and co-workers like that do not tell you we work for lolbanks then nothing will.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

danakate
aka Grace Abernathy

Yay for compilation warnings! I do feel a sense of accomplishment when I can get something to compile cleanly. Alas, I usually don't get the chance to make those kinds of changes unless it's at the very beginning of the development cycle and I don't have 10 high priority, must fix bugs that are all hard to recreate much less figure out and the freeze date is in 1.5 weeks.

I started with C++, but we do a lot of C/C++ hybrid stuff at work. The signal processing folks do mostly pure C. Our display folks have moved on to Java, which is kind of bad since they were all C++ programmers that were thrown into Java from X/Motif and forced to learn Java in like, a week. It's a bit of a mess.

These days I'm wandering into the advanced C++ territory, which is kind of scary and kind of neat once I figure it out. I also have to deal with a different evil: CORBA.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Mayeh
Hand of Heaven

I thought Corba was on the way out with Web Services taking over. I guess Web Services will run over CORBA.....

A new life awaits you in the Off-world colonies! A chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!
- Blade Runner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Ninelives
Le Fantôme de l’Forums

danakate wrote:
I also have to deal with a different evil: CORBA.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

danakate
aka Grace Abernathy

Mayeh wrote:
I thought Corba was on the way out with Web Services taking over. I guess Web Services will run over CORBA.....

The Navy, our customer, is trying to push for Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) types of things and moving away from CORBA but for now, it's still around. Things don't move as fast as industry technology does.

It's one of those things where no one in this world really knows enough about things and the weapons folks are really, really hesitant to do anything that requires a full re-certification. We'll see. I am hoping we'll move forward in a new, better direction soon. Right now, including CORBA, we've got at least 3 or 4 distinct middleware protocols in the system and it's pretty annoying.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Mayeh
Hand of Heaven

danakate wrote:
Right now, including CORBA, we've got at least 3 or 4 distinct middleware protocols in the system and it's pretty annoying.

As my father is fond of saying, "The nice thing about standards is: there are so many of them."

- Blade Runner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

Something else that is more fun than removing compilation warnings is upgrading hardware on a server running SCO Openserver 5.0.x.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
`·.,¸,.·*¯`·.,¸,.·*¯[;::;‹]ᵒᴥᵒ­­­­­­­­­­­­)›

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger  BOTTOM

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Rants » What is more fun than removing compilation warnings?
 Page 3 of 3