FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Register Register 
The Honourable Souls
A Social Linkshell on FairySylph (FFXI) & Mysidia Ragnarok (FFXIV) 
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Relaxation » How you chose your character name
 Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next The time now is Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:17 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: How you chose your character name  Reply with quote  

Ninelives
Le Fantôme de l’Forums

I thought it might be fun for everyone to share how/when/why they came up with their character's name. I know the story behind a few of them, but some I've always been curious about.

Mine is pretty easy to figure out. Rolling Eyes I wanted a name that had something to do with felines but was also one people would see and think was kind of clever.

As for my mules, Richelieu was the name of my character on my first server (Midgardsormr) before coming to Fairy, so I just recreated him here. It's also the name of the villain in one of my favorite books.

Fayefaye and Conanedogawa...welp when I was making the mules and needed a name, I had anime on and those were the characters that were on my TV when I made them. (Ed actually shouted "Faye Faye!" as I looked over Razz)

Last edited by Ninelives on Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total

TOP View user's profileSend private message  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Mayeh
Hand of Heaven

Mayeh is from.... the random name generator, looked at a bunch of different names and liked it. It is actually a real name.

Denorel - same but changed ending to make it more female sounding
Annalee - same
Squirewire - Rhyming taru name and he was carrying all my armour at the time
Infinitecrystal - well, this one is pretty self explanatory
Dameson - wanted to call him Dame since the elves are, you know (take a look at the PUP picture) but someone had taken that name already
Ballofdeath - what else would you call a cute little Taru BLM girl (Shantoto seems appropriate as well)
Kantele - name of a traditional Finnish instrument
Ilmatar - one of the dieties from Finnish mythology

A new life awaits you in the Off-world colonies! A chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!
- Blade Runner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Bristow
Caster of Disaster

Bristow comes from a combonation of things actually.
1. I live in DC and wanted something spy-ish, and CIA HQ is in a town next tom mine. Bristow
2. I'm a huge Alias fan, and Jennifer Garner's last name on it is Bristow
3. I just like the name, I had heard it used as a first name

Lowenfell
I wanted something with a different language. So I looked up a German dictionary for lion and skin and kind of combined the two, I'm not sure if it would translate or not.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Name  Reply with quote  

Razzlette
Tarogpan Terrorizer

Well i collect dragons & i had this really cute one named Razzlette i first started using this name in middle school (12years ago) i has been my AOL name e-mails so it was just fiting to give my elvan the name. Razz

Sheu & Sote are from the name generator the were longer but i wanted something short so i just cut them down.

Alazar came from the Disney movie Dinosaure, his name was Aladar.
Meria is also from that movie it was his girlfriends name.
Earis is from the movie Simbad the evil goddes.
Katare is a name my mom gave one of the dolls she made & she was a elvan so i took it Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

danakate
aka Grace Abernathy

Here's my "I'm a big dork" explanation for my FFXI names. Wink

Yuron comes from a mixture of my favorite pairing from FFX: Yuna x Auron. Yes. I am a fangirl.

Mules:
Pookiewookie - In most games, when thinking of a name, I choose Pookie. Do you have any idea how funny it is to play FFVII and have Tifa say to Cloud, "Oh, Pookie."? Very Happy Alas, Pookie was taken, so I tacked on a Tarutaru-esque bit to it and Pookiewookie was born. Yes, she is a Tarutaru.
Danakate - My online name since about 1996. It comes from Dana Katherine Scully of "The X-Files"
Alexandrastarr - A random name I came up with for an unfinished original fic.
Obidala - Another fangirl moment. It's a mixture of another favorite pairing of mine: Obi-Wan and Amidala. Wink
Danbooru - In Japanese, it means cardboard box. I first heard of it from the website http://danbooru.donmai.us (note: the site has some NSFW images and some very good ones, be very careful when searching for the tag FFXI, for instance) and I figured it was fitting.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Wumyamya
Ulmia's Soulmate

Wumyamya is from the random name generator.

Mules: Once upon a time, there were five little girls, who went to Vana'Diel to become adventurers. And they were each assigned very hazardous duties. But I took them away from all that, and now they work for me. My name is Wumy.

Cybertardis and romana are online names I've used forever.
Crystalbank is obvious.
Sabrinaduncan is also obvious, and the newest member of Wumy's Angel's.
Teelana is the Sorceress's real name.

Wumy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Dunador
Chuck Norris Wannabe

Dunador i derived from Dunedain, a LOTR term (one of the many names given to arragorn, i believe used to mark him as a ranger of the west). I actually wanted to go through this game as a ranger when i first started, then slowly changed my mind XD.
GW2 - Retired: Dunador Serestil - Mesmer - Maguuma
Steam Handle: Dunador (Profile Link)

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Emeraldrae
Honourable Artist

Once upon a time, when I was in the eighth grade (2000-2001), I started playing a game called Furcadia. I wanted to create a new character, and sat up all night thinking of a name. Somehow, "Emerald Rae" popped into my head. Next day I went to create her, using my favorite Barbie doll as a basis for her colors: orange hair, green eyes, etc. Thus, the character Emerald Rae was born. (You can see more of her in my art gallery)
I started using it as my username for a lot of other things, especially in MMORPGs so it would be pretty easy for someone to figure out "Hey, it's that crazy girl from <insert game here>!" That, and I was too lazy to create a different persona. Razz
When I found out there were catgirls in FFXI, I immediately poked around trying to find one that looked like Emmy. The closest I could find was one with her hair tied up, that I thought was kinda cute. Thus, the Mithra Emeraldrae was born. Very Happy (I also started out having difficulty choosing between RDM and THF, but went with RDM and picked up on THF when I got my subjob)

The mule Dorarumaru? I love Tarus. They're so adorable!! And I always wondered what the perspective was like down there, so I made a Taru mule. I don't like playing as male characters, so I went with female. As for the name itself, I was trying to think of something fitting for a Taru Taru. For some reason I thought of Dori from "Finding Nemo," and kinda went "Dora... Doramora... Doraru... Dorarumaru!!" I must say, I do rather like her name. ^^;

Emer's Main Gallery
Last Updated: February ('13)
Emer's Scraps
Last Updated: July ('13)

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Jondaras
Tarogpan Terrorizer

Jondaras - I'm not entirely sure but I think I slightly modified one of the NPCs in Candlekeep in Baldur's Gate I.
Harro - Was originally supposed to be "Herro." Basically, Engrish ftw.
Rawr - At one point I used this term constantly so I figured it would be easier to just log on that character and type "/l <--."
Orlyyarly - The whole "Orly Yarly Nowai" thing is mildly annoying and since I tend to do things that really annoy me (my personality is retarded Very Happy) I figured I might as well make a mule out of it. Plus it bugs Ninelives. >_>

TOP View user's profileSend private messageAIM Address  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:59 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Kade
The Duke of San d'Oria

As most of you know, i am a big pro-wrestling fan. One of my favorite wrestlers is the Undertaker, who had for a very brief time originally been called Kain the Undertaker. I used the name Kain in alot of my videogames for a long time.

Then i changed the name spelling to Kane after the character potrayed as the Undertakers little brother in another nod to my love of pro-wrestling.

When it came time to make my FFXI character, i did not want to use Kain due to the name being used in a previous FF game, and nor did i want to name him Kane, due to not wanting to be labelled a fanboy of pro-wrestling.

At the time, there was a new wrester named Garrison Cade whom is not very popular, and whom i have no like for, but i do like the sound of the name Cade.

I however tweaked the spelling to Kade as i prefer that to Cade, and still retained a link to my former game-names.

Kader - This one was made because of the nickname Beefy gave me, and it stuck in ls chat, so i decided to run with it.

Darthkader - fairly obvious

Drevil - Nod to one of my favorite movies/movie characters, Dr. Evil

Xiaobailong - I am also a big anime fanboy, and my favorite anime is Super Dimensional Fortress Macross. Xiao Bai Long is a song sung in the anime by a character of chinese decent. The translation is Little (Xiao) White (Bai) Dragon (Long). This just came to me one day as the perfect Galka mule name for me, as Galkas are white, and look like little dragons with the tail.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/KadeFFXI?ref=profile

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:03 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Sinai
Jungle Dweller

Sinai is the mount where God gave Moses the 10 commandments.

My mules...
A taru named "Ihavenoshins"
and an elvaan named "Greenhatesme" ... if anyone was in HC and saw how Greenray talked to me, you'd understand why I picked this name. /emo /wrists

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Maj
Saint Subligar

Weee.

Maj is the shortened "nickname" version of my ultra-goth IRC handle years ago, majesty_apathy.

Zombies is well... zombies, I didn't have any great insight in picking that name. >_>

Tactician... I dunno, just sounded like a big name for such a little Taru.

Ecclectricity is just a mix of the words ecclectic and electricity.

And Hayguyz was about 40% pure joke and 60% annoying Ninelives.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageAIM AddressMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:06 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

nala
Weaver of Misfortunes

nala came from me trying to give my character an originalish girly name, and finding out even the ones i thought i made up entirely were taken. so i started just inputing names from movies.

what do ya know i got the perfect cat girl name, i kinda inputed it as a joke cause i was dead certain that there would be a mithra nala already x.x

what really suprises me is that i know a rafiki and there used to be a zazu at one point i think but no simba's yet <.< or at least never online when i am dunno about the rest of the lion king characters.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Bigandbeefy
Fist of the Heavens

B&B originally started as a joke. I had two RL friends who started playing FFXI, a taru WHM and a hume RDM. None of us really knew anything about the game, but they kept complaining they were a little short on the dd / tanking department. I decided I'd play a MNK, since disgusting HP pool equals good tank, right? (wrong) So running on that same theme, I figured bigger and stronger was better, and went Galka. I think the actual conversation w/ my friend went like this:

"Well, Galka Monks have the highest HP pool in the game... plus Monk's a pretty good physical job. You could do that."
"<looks at stat calculators for L75> Yeah, I'll be a freaking bus. I should name him something like Bigandbeefy."
<laughter ensues>

My mules?
ArshusNei - From character of the same name, anime called Bastard!! Elvaan Black Mage. Figured it was appropriate.
Atmaweaponx- Because some so-and-so took Atma, Atmaweapon, and most base permutations on that. Atma Weapon was pimp. Eat it, Kefka.
Bunnie - Actually my GF's character. Taru WHM, one day to be a BST. She thought it up, probably after being scarred by me butchering rarabs.
Stealymcpilfer - I needed a Mithra, and a jeuno mule, so the two became one. It takes a thief to hang out in a den of thieves, so mithra THF. Stealy McGrabhands was a little too long. ^^

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Ramon
Antica Addict

Ramon is my name IRL, so it's kinda dumb name for a main.

Back in March '04, I was all excited for FFXI and my friend told me "HEY! You should start out as a galka because they are pimp, especially when you do MNK." I didn't choose a galka because I though elvaans were BAMFs so I made the coolest looking elvaan, and while I was thinking of a name, I looked at the fireplace to see the lone piece of charcoal and from there I formed Jarkol.
Tweetybird came from me talking to Jevicca and I told her "Wouldn't it be funny to see a galka named Tweety?" I tried for Tweety but it was taken, so Tweetybird.
Abbazabba, my mule that no one knows about was actually an extra character that I made on Hades, but then I hated Hades so I erased it, then I had just watched "Half Baked" and I thought, my characters could use a friend, and from Dave Chappelle's line in it "Abba Zabba, you my only friend" came the taru Abbazabba

TOP View user's profileSend private messageAIM AddressYahoo Messenger  BOTTOM

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Relaxation » How you chose your character name
 Page 1 of 7