FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Register Register 
The Honourable Souls
A Social Linkshell on FairySylph (FFXI) & Mysidia Ragnarok (FFXIV) 
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Rants » D:
 Goto page 1, 2  Next The time now is Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:31 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: D:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

Like Nine, I hate this weather. Yeah, here in Texas, we got freezing weather. So what has happened this weekend?

I woke up yesterday morning and my computer was off. I didn't turn it off the night before. I shrugged it off as possibly a power failure. I try to turn it on, it starts booting, windows boot screen comes up, bluescreen of death, power shuts off. I notice that windows doesn't normally shut off the power on crash and realize something is really wrong. I hit power button again...it goes through bios and shuts off. Then I hear a snap and something fell loose. I pick in the window on the side of the case and find cpu heatsink/fan hanging weird. I open computer and find the heatsink retension bracket literally broke. New part ordered that should be stronger.

I was going to my mom's yesterday to celebrate her bday (she was born on friday the thirteenth, btw. Just a bit of trivia). On my way there, the extreme cold outside and the heater running inside put enough stress on a flaw in my windshield to crack it almost clean accross. Given how it's cracked, it needs to be replaced.

My ipod has become my main portable media device. Before anyone makes assumptions that I bought an overpriced piece of junk...I bought it used and have installed a third party firmware to make it work how I want it to. Well, it appears that while my ipod was updating, that's when my computer first crashed. So now my ipod is pretty much dead because the update files are on my desktop, which are dead, and it doesn't have a complete update. This may seem trivial, but it's not really. My ipod won't boot and I have no access to any of my media right now. I have copies of my media in various places, but not readily accessible when certain things aren't working, and it seems ALL OF THEM decided to die.

To add to the misery, I broke a mirror earlier today. 7 years of bad freaking luck. D:

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
`·.,¸,.·*¯`·.,¸,.·*¯[;::;‹]ᵒᴥᵒ­­­­­­­­­­­­)›

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

danakate
aka Grace Abernathy

Yeow. When it rains is pours. D: Hope things get better for you...and fast! :/ And this is the new computer, too?

TOP View user's profileSend private message  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

Yeah, new computer.

So yeah, today my car is frozen shut, I can't get in it at all. Boss called me and told me not to worry about driving in if the roads are bad and to work from home. I go to connect to the vpn and it appears no one is going to work today and everyone is working from home because the vpn is now refusing sessions.

One might think "yay day off!" but um...yeah...I need to check on my labs, especially my Dallas ones D:

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Mayeh
Hand of Heaven

We just got our first blast of wintry weather. Had a bit of snow before but nothing that stuck around. This morning we had freezing rain and ice pellets, it's supposed to turn to snow around lunch time and we should end up with 5 - 10 cm of the stuff. Just took my time getting to work this morning and the parking lot was fairly empty. I think people who commute longer distances may have had problems getting in today.

A new life awaits you in the Off-world colonies! A chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!
- Blade Runner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

I finally got in the VPN and got to check on my labs. Thankfully no real problems. Going to get my windshield replaced in a little over an hour. $204 plus tax. Meh. Now to wait for my heatsink/fan.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Mayeh
Hand of Heaven

So are you going to return the old heatsink? If they won't take it back, you can always return it using a compressed air cannon. This works best when used to return the defective item from the parking lot through plate glass.

A new life awaits you in the Off-world colonies! A chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!
- Blade Runner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Emeraldrae
Honourable Artist

I didn't know it got that cold in Texas o_O Especially since (according to my sister) New York City hasn't seen any snow at all this winter!

Emer's Main Gallery
Last Updated: February ('13)
Emer's Scraps
Last Updated: July ('13)

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

The heatsink isn't broken. The retention bracket on the motherboard is. I could exchange the mobo, but I get just another mobo with a weak retension bracket. I bought a new better retension bracket instead.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Ninelives
Le Fantôme de l’Forums

Blech, it always seems to hit at once. I swear the only that breaks more than an old computer is a new one. Hope it all works out qell and quickly for ya.^^

Also, we got an inch of ice last night. Made driving today so much fun. >_>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Wumyamya
Ulmia's Soulmate

Someone has decided to cancel winter in New York City. D:

Wumy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Ninelives
Le Fantôme de l’Forums

Oh yeah Wumy, speaking of parts in new computers not working and everything, don't forget to return that memory to Dell! Razz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:12 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Koiji
Paragon of Pirate Excellence

Emeraldrae wrote:
I didn't know it got that cold in Texas o_O Especially since (according to my sister) New York City hasn't seen any snow at all this winter!

It never snows in Texas, it just ices. And it only happens once a year. Austin is basically shut down right now (even though it's not that icy out).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

S N K
Nubikins

Yeah I'm in Austin also and I'm just annoyed that everyone is closing down shops for a lil ice and cold weather like it's the next ice age.

Silly people...

Silver is exspensive. Chrome looks just as cool. ~Deadpool

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

Actually, this is the second time this year we've seen ice up in North Texas. We have yet to see snow. It sometimes snows, but it's rare. I would have come in to work yesterday had my boss not called me and told me to stay home, combine with having a broken windshield.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Tibz
There and Back Again

Edmonton Very Happy Apparently Biggest Blizzard in 20 years or something, It wasn't that bad tho only on the first day where you couldn't see down the end of the street. The news was super hypeing it like scary oooo noes snow is coming in Canada what will we do!?

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Rants » D:
 Page 1 of 2