FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Register Register 
The Honourable Souls
A Social Linkshell on FairySylph (FFXI) & Mysidia Ragnarok (FFXIV) 
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Relaxation » Baby, you can drive my car
  The time now is Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:25 am 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Baby, you can drive my car  Reply with quote  

Wumyamya
Ulmia's Soulmate

I had my first driving lesson today. Two hours behind the wheel with Andre. It was not horrible, though I was very nervous. I think I did pretty well for someone who hasn't driven in 20 years.

Next lesson on Thursday.

Wumy

TOP View user's profileSend private message  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Neovilla
Bird Basher

Ah I remember the frist time I was taken out to learn to drive out in the middle of nowhere with my dad truck in the desert going off road ah good times lol. Now I just deal with traffic and make sure no one rear ends me now a days lol.

I trust you are learning to drive on a automatic, stick is fun but man when I starting on that I just hated stopping at stops with hills.

Well Wumy have fun and ><;; spending cash on gas for me here in Cali goes by quickly even with my gas friendly car.
[Bastok Mission: Completed] [ San doria Mission: Completed] [Windurst Mission: Completed] [RoZ Mission: Completed] [CoP Mission: Completed] [TouA Mission: Completed] [C: 28/50][WotG Mission: 24][ACP Mission:Completed][ MKD Mission: 2][ASA Mission: 10]

Neovilla: http://www.ffxiah.com/player.php?id=132283

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Mayeh
Hand of Heaven

So how are the lessons going? Are you planning on buying a car or just getting the licence and renting when needed? Toronto has a couple of car sharing services that let you rent by the day or hour. That way you save on the cost of ownership, parking and maintenance. They let you pick up and drop off at subway stations and the like.

http://www.zipcar.com/

http://autoshare.com/

A new life awaits you in the Off-world colonies! A chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!
- Blade Runner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Wumyamya
Ulmia's Soulmate

They are going well. I had my second two-hour session behind the wheel yesterday, during which we practiced some rural driving (which is what I did back when I drove so I was very comfortable), as well as merging (which I was not comfortable with at all). Monday afternoon we are going to go over parallel parking.

Andre, my teacher, says we should go ahead and schedule the test because he thinks I'm mostly ready--all I really need is practice driving. It'll take 6 weeks to get it scheduled, and we'll do a thorough 90 minute test prep before I take the test in the car I've been practicing on. It's a good deal. Very Happy

I still hate driving, though.

The plan for now is to get the license then begin to actively look for a car. I think for the first few years I'm driving again I may just get an old beater. That way, if I crash it or beat it up, it won't really matter. And if it craps out after a couple of years, I won't bother spending the money to fix it up, but at that point go for something newer. I'm definitely buying used the first time around. I think I will use it often enough that owning or leasing my own is probably the best option.

Wumy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Mayeh
Hand of Heaven

I've only had two new cars. I usually get used cars and then drive them into the ground. My idea of a trade-in is to drive the car to the junk yard and then spend the money on a lunch Very Happy My current car is a 2003 Toyota Corolla that's still in good shape apart from a couple of parking lot dings.

The first car I owned I sold for $25 and lunch, junkyard said $25 and a friend of mine said he'd give me $25 AND buy me lunch Laughing It was a 1975 Dodge Dart Very Happy

A new life awaits you in the Off-world colonies! A chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!
- Blade Runner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Wumyamya
Ulmia's Soulmate

My road test is July 27th.

Wumy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Mayeh
Hand of Heaven

So only a month before you start to terrorize... I mean drive on your own. Remember, the proper indication when cut off in traffic is the middle finger, swearing is optional.

Seriously, I'm sure you'll do fine.

- Blade Runner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Ninelives
Le Fantôme de l’Forums

Wumyamya wrote:
My road test is July 27th.

Good luck! Very Happy

Mayeh wrote:
So only a month before you start to terrorize... I mean drive on your own. Remember, the proper indication when cut off in traffic is the middle finger, swearing is optional.

The hardest part about having a job where you drive nine hours a day with a company logo on the side of your car is remembering you can't do this anymore. Sad

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Wumyamya
Ulmia's Soulmate

Thanks.

I had a good lesson yesterday. We did a lot of highway driving, exiting and merging and that kind of stuff. I have a bad left eye, so my blind spot is a lot larger than normal, and I have to turn too far to the left to check over my shoulder. We practiced a bunch of different ways to merge, and I found that if I just kept checking the sideview mirrors every couple of seconds to make sure nothing was there I was OK. I did get surprised by a few things in my blind spot, however. Apparently there are little mirrors you can add to your sideview mirrors that help a lot with that. I doubt I will ever be very comfortable with merging, however.

Parallel parking wasn't too bad--he has a good method for teaching it, using geometry and mirrors. I'm not too worried about that.

We'll do one more two-hour lesson before the actual test. And on the day of the test, we'll do 90 minutes of test prep, with the road test at the end of the 2 hours. I've heard the PA road test is pretty easy, and I've gotten more and more comfortable behind the wheel with each lesson. It came back pretty quick, and the only real problems I had were due to unfamiliarity with the roads and some inexperience.

Wumy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:29 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Pyrobug
Why haven't you asked for a title yet?

Wumyamya wrote:
Apparently there are little mirrors you can add to your sideview mirrors that help a lot with that.

Those things are great. My dad had one of those on his driver-side mirror when I was learning in his minivan. Makes a huge difference in your blind spot.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailAIM Address  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Wumyamya
Ulmia's Soulmate

Passed. Very Happy

Failed it back in July, this time was a breeze. Now to go car shopping.

Wumy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:57 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Wumyamya
Ulmia's Soulmate

I bought a Subaru Impreza this week. Picking it up tomorrow. O.o;

Wumy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Mayeh
Hand of Heaven

Sweet, I found some footage of them bringing your car to the dealership. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaSvK-kZe2I

- Blade Runner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Neovilla
Bird Basher

Nice, seeing you handle your car like in that video would be interesting lol
[Bastok Mission: Completed] [ San doria Mission: Completed] [Windurst Mission: Completed] [RoZ Mission: Completed] [CoP Mission: Completed] [TouA Mission: Completed] [C: 28/50][WotG Mission: 24][ACP Mission:Completed][ MKD Mission: 2][ASA Mission: 10]

Neovilla: http://www.ffxiah.com/player.php?id=132283

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Wumyamya
Ulmia's Soulmate

I drive like that all the time.

Wumy

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Relaxation » Baby, you can drive my car
 Page 1 of 1