FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Register Register 
The Honourable Souls
A Social Linkshell on FairySylph (FFXI) & Mysidia Ragnarok (FFXIV) 
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Technical Help » PC backup batteries
  The time now is Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:45 am 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: PC backup batteries  Reply with quote  

Dunador
Chuck Norris Wannabe

I'm looking for a PC backup, so that when my breaker trips as often as it does, my PC doesnt get shutdown in the time it takes to reset the breaker (which is usually 2-3 minutes). The cheaper backups that I see say they only have a 200 Watt output, which seems low. My PSU is a 650W. I know this doesnt mean it uses all 650W, but is there any recommended output that Id need to keep my PC powered for that low time frame?
GW2 - Retired: Dunador Serestil - Mesmer - Maguuma
Steam Handle: Dunador (Profile Link)

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

LuckyAlex
Why hasn't Lucky asked for a title yet?

I have 2 power backup, one main for my PC and Monitor that i think is 540 Watts and a smaller one for my cable modem and router.

The thing is, the lower the APC watts are, the shorter the battery will last.

On my old computer i had a 21" CRT monitor with a 500w psu and the apc would last me around 5 min. Now i lost the special cable that came with it that would able me to know how long the battery would last but with this lcd monitor and 1000w psu i still get around 5-15 min of backup time.

The only thing i could suggest is to buy it in a store that accept returns and after having it charged for a full day, just unplug the APC from the wall and play a graphic intensive game and time to see how long it would last if the apc doesn't come with a special usb cable with a battery life utility.

If it doesn't last long enough, return it to the store.

What will happen if you pull more juice then the battery can give when you unplug it or power goes out then the apc GFI will trip.

I would suggest to go for the next step after the 200w, around 300-500 watt apc.

I bought mines because when the wind was strong where i lived, the power would often short out for half a sec and it was enough to make my computer reboot.

If your breaker trip often, you might want to lower the amount of things you have plugged in if you can, like moving a power hungry appliance somewhere else in the house, because its not good for the wires inside the walls, they can overheat.

TOP View user's profileSend private message  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Dunador
Chuck Norris Wannabe

The thing about my breaker, is that its tied in with the electrical in another room-mates of mine's room. I cant control what he has plugged in, but apparently he hasnt gotten the message, since this has been happening all year. Ive turned everything in my room off, except my PC setup, and my aquarium lights for my turtle, and he still managed to trip our breaker. Its rather annoying being right in the middle of something in a game, and having your computer reboot because of an idiot in the apartment. Then take forever and a half to reboot up (I need to clean my machine =/). This is why I want a UPS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Mayeh
Hand of Heaven

Well you could always upgrade your room mate to Room Mate v2.0

A new life awaits you in the Off-world colonies! A chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!
- Blade Runner

TOP View user's profileSend private message  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Dunador
Chuck Norris Wannabe

Mayeh wrote:
Well you could always upgrade your room mate to Room Mate v2.0

If only....If only mayeh.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

Just to be on the safe side, I would recommend a UPS that is equal to or greater than your PSU in output. If you are drawing more than the UPS is designed to handle, you damage it. I learned this the hard way -_- (battery was completely useless after a couple of months and was the cause of various PC shutdowns after that, doing the complete opposite of what I wanted it for)

Also, Cyberpower is a good cheap brand. My Cyberpower 1500KVA UPS has been running for a few years now and only hiccuped on one power issue out of the many we've had. With my entire desktop (computer, monitor, networking gear, etc) plugged in, I get over 20 mins.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
`ท.,ธ,.ท*ฏ`ท.,ธ,.ท*ฏ[;::;‹]ᵒᴥᵒญญญญญญญญญญญญ)›

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger  BOTTOM

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Technical Help » PC backup batteries
 Page 1 of 1