FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Register Register 
The Honourable Souls
A Social Linkshell on FairySylph (FFXI) & Mysidia Ragnarok (FFXIV) 
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Relaxation » Civic duty
  The time now is Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:57 am 

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Civic duty  Reply with quote  

Mayeh
Hand of Heaven

It's civic duty day. National elections today and I also have to send in my taxes. At least I don't have jury duty today.

A new life awaits you in the Off-world colonies! A chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!
- Blade Runner

TOP View user's profileSend private message  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Jarreth
Shantotto's Bodyguard

Oh, and here I thought this was a post about you cleaning your Honda.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Wumyamya
Ulmia's Soulmate

Way to go, Canada! Our corrupt and out of control conservatives must've looked so appealing to you that you decided you wanted to try it for yourselves. Good luck with that.

Wumy

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Mayeh
Hand of Heaven

Rolling Eyes
I can't believe how many people voted for a party that promised transparent government and then did nothing but lie and refuse to answer any questions. Harper is also a complete control freak, everything has to be approved by his office. At least the Bloc Quebecois was soundly thrashed so we don't have to listen to them whine for four years.

A new life awaits you in the Off-world colonies! A chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!
- Blade Runner

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Wumyamya
Ulmia's Soulmate

One good outcome from your elections yesterday: The rise of the Social Democrats as the official opposition.

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2011/05/03-1

That represents a pretty major political shift, even with Harper getting a majority, especially in light of how poorly the Liberal Party did (the NDP is even more to the left of the Liberal Party, I believe).

Wumy

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Mayeh
Hand of Heaven

Yeah, they got a real kick in Quebec and then it snowballed once people started to see real numbers of seats for them. I am still waiting to see what the voter turnout was like. There was a lot of talk about "vote mobs" on university and college campuses. Students taking up the challenge from Rick Mercer to get out and vote http://www.rickmercer.com/Rick-s-Rant/Blog/March-2011/Vote.aspx I'm curious to see if it turned into large numbers of young people voting. I am hoping that it did and that it energizes another generation of voters.

- Blade Runner

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Mayeh
Hand of Heaven

Turnout for the country was 61.4 per cent, compared with 59.1 per cent in 2008. There were 14.7 million voters who elected Stephen Harper's Conservative majority government.

The Green Party leader (Elizabeth May) won her seat the first time the Greens have won a seat, previous members were from defections. The riding had 75% voter turnout the third highest turnout in the country.

- Blade Runner

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Wumyamya
Ulmia's Soulmate

First Green Party candidate elected in the Northern Hemisphere, if I'm not mistaken. Well done, Canada!

Wumy

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Relaxation » Civic duty
 Page 1 of 1