FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Register Register 
The Honourable Souls
A Social Linkshell on FairySylph (FFXI) & Mysidia Ragnarok (FFXIV) 
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Rants » Hello, I'm Stupid
  The time now is Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:02 am 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Hello, I'm Stupid  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

So...I'm working with a dev group on a relatively new project. Not all of the environments are up and running yet and I'm the one that is doing the automation for application installation and deployment on the servers. The applications are enterprise java applications and we're using IBM websphere as our application and process server. A few weeks ago, I knew nothing about websphere and had to learn quite a bit about the wsadmin jython interface.

So we're running into problems with installation that mostly revolve around my lack of knowledge of websphere and my lack of access to a test environment. We've corrected a large portion of the problems through a very slow process of trial and error that involves a chain of people to get each step done. This has resulted in a monumental waste of time.

However, there is this one problem where I'm telling them where the problem resides and my lack of knowledge, experience, etc, with websphere is being put into question by blaming my scripting rather than actually looking where I'm suggesting. Sadly, of all of these people, I'm the least knowledgeable of this system and...I'm the one that's right.

Can't do any more testing until tomorrow, at which point I'll be able to do it myself as I should finally have access to an environment and have access to the information I need. Until then, this has been another day of wasted time. At least once I have the appropriate access I need to the information I've been waiting for I'll be able to fix a lot of the broken logic in my scripting!

\m/

BTW, I hate websphere.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
`ท.,ธ,.ท*ฏ`ท.,ธ,.ท*ฏ[;::;‹]ᵒᴥᵒญญญญญญญญญญญญ)›

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

Today started with the same old chain of people to write code, test, complain, blame, etc. I finally got my access approved and once that happened, I had a working script in a matter of minutes, working around the various problems I've been running into. I believe I'll be getting more done tomorrow than I did in the past few weeks. I'd work on it more today but I'm about to leave for physical therapy (ugh).

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
`ท.,ธ,.ท*ฏ`ท.,ธ,.ท*ฏ[;::;‹]ᵒᴥᵒญญญญญญญญญญญญ)›

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger  BOTTOM

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Rants » Hello, I'm Stupid
 Page 1 of 1