FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Register Register 
The Honourable Souls
A Social Linkshell on FairySylph (FFXI) & Mysidia Ragnarok (FFXIV) 
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Technical Help » New MOBO arrived
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 The time now is Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:49 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

LuckyAlex
Why hasn't Lucky asked for a title yet?

For windows 7 you don't need to pre-format the drive since it doesn't install the files like older version of windows. Instead it copies an image on the drives then inflate it tho i'm not sure what they mean by inflate. If something is already on the drive, windows 7 install should ask if you you want to erase everything.

If you are installing files on a raid array you need to Load the raid drivers from somewhere, cd, usb stick or hd at the install moment even if the drive is listed and for AHCI you probably need to Load AHCI driver if you didn't. Look it up on your manufaturer motherboard web site download section if there is the most recent version should be there.

TOP View user's profileSend private message  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

nala
Weaver of Misfortunes

hmm it didnt say anything about the AHCI drivers when i looked up drivers at EVGA's home page, said something about sata6 drivers, perhaps AHCI driver's would be included?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

Different people call it different things. The sata drivers would be what you're looking for.

And yes, as I mentioned, you can, sometimes, get it to work by installing Windows in IDE mode then switching, but if the driver install prior to the change tries to be "smart" about what drivers to install, it can fail.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:38 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

nala
Weaver of Misfortunes

/sigh so i uninstalled for nothing and wasted my entire day, oh well mind detailing how i might go about changing to AHCI after the fact?

and what do you mean it might not be intuitive?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

It's not intuitive because Windows does not handle hardware changes gracefully. If relying on Windows for drivers, it will only install drivers that are needed and will be used. This means if AHCI is disabled in the BIOS and Windows is providing the drivers, it will skip installing AHCI drivers.

The driver package includes the appropriate driver, but many of them simply put the driver on the filesystem and rely on the hardware detection in Windows to configure it. If the driver package installs the driver but does not configure Windows to load it, when you switch to AHCI and boot, you will boot into a BSOD.

It's been a long time since I've done the driver swap so I don't know the exact process. When I get to work I'll do a search for a technet article that explains it.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

threndal
Bat Nemesis

computer is looking nice. sorry i havent been around to help much nala been a bit busy. as for the raid im not very informative on how to do raid very much but i see nim and doc and them are helping you. as for the your screen it would be best to get a computer screen and maybe a tv connection for your computer if u wanna watch tv. some of the newer computer monitors support hdmi/avi/dvi and cable inputs but i believe ud need a dvr or cable box for that. as for the cards shutting down when u overclock are you using rivatuner? if you are sometimes you cannot get all the way to the right when over clocking. i normally take it 80% of the way and max the fans out. if u need some overclocking help c-net has some great cpu and vid card overclocking programs.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

threndal
Bat Nemesis

also you might need to correctly time your memory you can find out what u can time it to by looking your sticks up or searching the enormous motherboard supported memory list.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

This Microsoft support article appears to cover exactly this scenario:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

nala
Weaver of Misfortunes

bsod?

so just about to read your article, im happy with the performance of the system without tweaking but... i would like to try to push it maybe not to the max but you know further then its currently set.

with that said i guess ima need help with overclocking stuffs. ill provide pics of my bios screens and the like, also on that note the gtx 480 software included a tool that allows me to sync and adjust the out put of my video cards (im guessing its a way of activly overclocking it) in any case if i turn the tool up to about half way on memory or GPU it gets glitchy/freezes up or i lose the screen all together, im guessing possibly this means low voltage? rather if i want to bump up the performance of my 3x SLI setup i need to mess with the voltage?

anyways for now any gerneral info yall can provide would be nice, as where i had some experince putting computers together in the past (not that its really hard or anything) ive never overclocked a system before, and i dont want to mess it up or short change myself. (i'm guessing i may need to provide system specs for this? once again ill flood ya'll with more pictures later)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

BSOD = Blue Screen Of Death

Overclocking takes a lot of patience. Doing it wrong can also damage the hardware. Unless you upgrade your cooling, you can't overclock by much. Honestly, I don't recommend overclocking because unless you do put in upgraded cooling (ie: water cooling, etc), the performance gains are negligible. And besides, with how cramped your computer looks with the 3x SLI, you're probably already generating a lot of heat and should probably make sure you have adequate air flow (make sure you have an intake fan and at least one exhaust fan, the bigger the better, I use 120mm on intake and exhaust).

If you have it running for a moment and then not, it can be due to any number of things, including a sync problem in the SLI configuration, a sync problem internal to the card or other hardware, lack of needed voltage, lack of power from the PSU, or even overheating. You can only find out through monitoring your sensors as you make the tweaks and trial and error. This is the part that takes a lot of patience because you're probably going to crash a LOT. You will definitely be rebooting a lot.

Keep in mind every time you crash due to a hardware issue, you risk data corruption. Windows has gotten pretty robust about handling this better, but the risk is still there.

Edit: I took a look at the inside of your case again and you have pretty good air flow, it appears. Still, I don't think you'll get far with the overclocking without a better cooling solution.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

nala
Weaver of Misfortunes

yeah i intend to go liquid eventually but this was a heafty investment so far and i still need a few more and unexpected key components in order for this system to be 14 ready not to mention i need to get a new car soon /sigh.

also i highly doubt its a heating issiue since i can hear the fans for the gpu's and the same tool that allows me to bump up thier performance also gives me a software temperature read out, thats pretty much why i was asking what your thoughts were on why it would lock the system up, if its not an over heating issiue do i need to check into adjusting voltage settings in the bios or is it a sync problem you think?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

Well, also keep in mind there's limits to the hardware.

In any case, if you are tweaking the GPUs and suspect undervolting, the increase would have to come from the tool you're using to overclock, not the BIOS. The only overclocking you can do in the BIOS is CPU and memory. It's possible they are undervolted. But as I mentioned, there's a lot of variables to go through and the only way to find a stable overclock setting is trial and error.

BTW, if you have 3x480s you should have more than enough GPU to run FF14 without overclocking. I'm thinking your CPU is going to be the bottleneck, if anything.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:38 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

threndal
Bat Nemesis

ya that build is a top of the line build. no need to overclock anything other than the cpu and maybe the ram. umm here is a site that can answer alot of questions its what i use for most of my problems... they are the top computer modifiers in the world. alot of them get put on the cover of magazines like cpu.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/index.php

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

Well, when I say CPU being the bottleneck, I'm not implying that it's going to actually slow things down. With the right CPU and RAM, that computer is fast enough to play anything with all settings turned up, and that without overclocking.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

nala
Weaver of Misfortunes

im finding it might be my ram /sigh

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Technical Help » New MOBO arrived
 Page 3 of 3