FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Register Register 
The Honourable Souls
A Social Linkshell on FairySylph (FFXI) & Mysidia Ragnarok (FFXIV) 
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Rants » That old friend
  The time now is Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:05 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: That old friend  Reply with quote  

Wumyamya
Ulmia's Soulmate

This isn't a rant.

Yesterday, a dear friend of mine, and all-around wonderful person died peacefully in her sleep a few days past her 49th birthday, after a hellish four-month battle with cancer. I caught an early flight to LA in the hopes of getting here in time to say good-bye, but I did not make it. I am OK with that, since she died peacefully surrounded by her family. I am here with the family, crying, laughing, and telling stories about my wonderful friend.

It feels unreal to me that she is no longer here, and I keep expecting her to walk downstairs and insist we go to Disney, or out to a movie, or to play skee ball or eat sushi, because those are the things we used to do together.

I met her in 1992 and practically lived at her apartment while she was on the east coast through the 1990s. We traveled a lot, laughed a lot, argued a lot. She has had a rough time since losing her job in the economic downturn that followed 9/11 and only in recent years recovered. And now, she is gone, after a horrific battle with a horrible disease that snuck up on her unaware.

I spent this past Christmas (and many other holidays--her family has become my family) with my friend, and we had a great time eating sushi and playing skee ball and watching movies. There was not a single sign of the awfulness that was growing inside of her. She was alive, and vibrant, and funny, and that is the image of her that I will keep forever in my mind.

Life is short. That friend you haven't seen in awhile, or with whom you had a falling out and never made up? Call them today, because they might not be here tomorrow.

Wumy

TOP View user's profileSend private message  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: That old friend  Reply with quote  

Ninelives
Le Fantôme de l’Forums

Wumyamya wrote:

Life is short. That friend you haven't seen in awhile, or with whom you had a falling out and never made up? Call them today, because they might not be here tomorrow.

Wumy

So very true. Grudges and silence lead to lifelong regret when they can't be amended.

/ja "Hug" <Wumy>

TOP View user's profileSend private message  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Squitt
電 話 武 士

My condolences on your loss.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail  BOTTOM

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Rants » That old friend
 Page 1 of 1