FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Register Register 
The Honourable Souls
A Social Linkshell on FairySylph (FFXI) & Mysidia Ragnarok (FFXIV) 
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Rants » Work advice?
 Goto page Previous  1, 2 The time now is Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:43 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

To not confuse a future examination of the paperwork? You mean they can't add some clause to the contract to address that?

In any case, like I said, there's nothing illegal going on here. A problem would only come up should the contract be questioned in a court. Since you essentially lied on the contract, it would become nullified and unenforceable on either side of the agreement (the agreement is invalid because it has false information). This doesn't mean there will not be repercussions.

The last company I worked for screwed up on a contract for me (loyalty agreement for paying for certification) and it worked out in my favor. The contract was unenforceable because of their mistake (improper electronic signature) Wink

In the end, they could end up screwing you, or vice versa, as a result of these shenanigans.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
`ท.,ธ,.ท*ฏ`ท.,ธ,.ท*ฏ[;::;‹]ᵒᴥᵒญญญญญญญญญญญญ)›

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Gigiya
Antica Addict

Eh, it doesn't specify much, I don't see when it would be called into question:

Work to be Performed
[Second company] and the Independent Contractor agree that the Independent Contractor will perform the following work:
[lengthy job description]

Terms of Agreement
The services called for under this Agreement shall commence on February 1, 2010 and terminate at a time agreed upon by both parties.

Technical Direction
The Independent Contractor shall receive technical direction only from [guy I work under] or an assigned designee of the company.

Terms of Payment
The Company shall pay the Independent Contractor according to the following terms and conditions.
• Rate of pay is $45,000 per annum.
• Independent Contractor will be paid on a bi-monthly schedule (1st to 15th of the month and 16th to last day of the month).
• Independent Contractor will be paid within 14 days of submission of a timesheet to [second company].

Reimbursement of Expenses
[second company] shall not be liable to the Independent Contractor for any expenses paid or incurred by the Independent Contractor.

Federal, State, and Local Payroll Taxes
[second company] shall neither pay nor withhold federal, state, or local income tax or payroll tax of any kind on behalf of the Independent Contractor or the employees of the Independent Contractor. The Independent Contractor shall not be treated as an employee for the services performed hereunder for federal, state, or local tax purposes. The Independent Contractor agrees that he/she is responsible for all such taxes.

TOP View user's profileSend private message  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Gigiya
Antica Addict

Got my drug test and background check out of the way. Emailed my boss three weeks ago asking for everything in writing and about setting a date. A week later, he hadn't replied, so I emailed him again and he replied stating that they were working on a contract and would have it back to me next week. Haven't heard from him at all since then.

Am I an idiot for wanting to stick with this company? The disorganization and nonexistent communication structure are frustrating to no end, but besides that I make good money and the work isn't that terrible.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

In all honesty, everything just screams GTFO.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
`ท.,ธ,.ท*ฏ`ท.,ธ,.ท*ฏ[;::;‹]ᵒᴥᵒญญญญญญญญญญญญ)›

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:51 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Striker
I has Kikoku!

Nimdae wrote:
In all honesty, everything just screams GTFO.

with all the crap thats going on with ppl getting accused of corruption and corporate theft, I would have to agree that you should get out while the getting is good, save and print all of the emails/letters you have received from the company just to cover your own backside.

Had I read this thread earlier I would have advised you to not backdate your signature on that contract, but keep that email you were sent from the CEO that told you to backdate it so that your probation period would be completed by the time they processed that contract ( wtf why are they making new contract? ). Just make sure that you GTFO and watch the papers for any stories in which that company might be nailed for.

Kikoku Obtained 8/17/08

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Alananir
DocWilco

With the caveat of "find something else before you leave" of course. Current economic climate isn't doing the job market any good for those looking for jobs.

But yeah, find a new job and once found, get the hell out of your current one. It just screams "dodgy".

Elemental Magic Skill 8/8 Lightning Magic Potency 4/4 Ice Magic Potency 3/3 Fire Magic Potency 3/3 MP 5/8
Freeze II 1/2 Burst II 1/3 Flame II 1/2 Flood II 1/1 Quake II 1/1 Tornado 1/1
Great Katana 8/8 Critical Hit Rate 4/4 Meditate 5/5 Store TP 5/5 Overwhelm 5/5 Shikikoyo 1/? Blade Bash 1/? STR 3/5
BLM75 SAM75 NIN66 WHM44 WAR40 RNG38 RDM37 THF37 DNC37 COR21 MNK20

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Gigiya
Antica Addict

I got an actual contract, filled out health insurance application forms, and am leaving for Tampa on the 21st. Have a week off to find an apartment.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Alananir
DocWilco

Good for you! Have fun in Tampa! Very Happy

Elemental Magic Skill 8/8 Lightning Magic Potency 4/4 Ice Magic Potency 3/3 Fire Magic Potency 3/3 MP 5/8
Freeze II 1/2 Burst II 1/3 Flame II 1/2 Flood II 1/1 Quake II 1/1 Tornado 1/1
Great Katana 8/8 Critical Hit Rate 4/4 Meditate 5/5 Store TP 5/5 Overwhelm 5/5 Shikikoyo 1/? Blade Bash 1/? STR 3/5
BLM75 SAM75 NIN66 WHM44 WAR40 RNG38 RDM37 THF37 DNC37 COR21 MNK20

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail  BOTTOM

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Rants » Work advice?
 Page 2 of 2