FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Register Register 
The Honourable Souls
A Social Linkshell on FairySylph (FFXI) & Mysidia Ragnarok (FFXIV) 
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Rants » new graphics card
  The time now is Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:14 am 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: new graphics card  Reply with quote  

Harmoni

Hey peoples

My pc is in the shop - problem seems to be with the sli - either a mb issue or a graphics card issue - but one of the slots doesn't seem to be working. My repair options are either a new motherboard . . . or slightly less expensive and advised by the shop a new single graphics card that's a better spec than the two I have.

So my question is any advice on which card to get that will run ff without issues - i had 7800's and the shop man suggesting 9800 instead . . . .

TOP   BOTTOM
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

A single 9800 will outperform dual 7800. However, with the newer generation stuff coming, some of the higher end cards are getting cheaper. Maybe consider how much you want to spend and decide from there?

Nvidia has a HUGE gap in performance right now among their card models, but not necessarily in price. Their GTX 2xx line is significantly slower than their GTX 4xx line. The GTX 2xx line's price, though, is that of a ATI Radeon HD 57xx series, but performs like a 47xx series. You might be happier considering a 47xx or 57xx series card from AMD/ATI due to its price per performance.

Personally, I'm looking to get a 5770, which appears to go for around $160USD. The 5770 will outperform your dual 7800 as well as the 9800 by a large margin, and should last for quite a while before needing to be upgraded. To me, that seems worth the $160 investment.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
`ท.,ธ,.ท*ฏ`ท.,ธ,.ท*ฏ[;::;‹]ᵒᴥᵒญญญญญญญญญญญญ)›

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Harmoni

Thanks Nim - turns out it is the motherboard - which he's going to replace with the same model - which will solve the problem with the sli too.

TOP   BOTTOM

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Rants » new graphics card
 Page 1 of 1