FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Register Register 
The Honourable Souls
A Social Linkshell on FairySylph (FFXI) & Mysidia Ragnarok (FFXIV) 
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Rants » Zoom support is useless
  The time now is Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:49 am 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Zoom support is useless  Reply with quote  

Nimdae
Dog Food

I bought a Zoom bluetooth dongle. The included software and offered update don't work in Windows 7. I went to the provider of the software (BlueSoleil) and found an even newer version that works fine, except that it's trialware and requires purchasing. I went to Zoom support to try to fix this problem because the software by itself was twice as expensive as the dongle.

~~~~

How it went:

I explained my problem and the platform I'm using it on (netbook running Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit)

Zoom responds with they can't offer the software and that the Windows drivers should work fine, that I should use the Windows drivers because the offered software doesn't support Windows 7.

I explain that the Windows drivers don't work fine and that the latest software solves my problems, which BlueSoleil explicitly states supports Windows 7.

Zoom responds that this person tested on Windows 7 64 bit (wait what?) and it works fine. Offers screenshots and reiterates that it's impossible to offer the software.

I remind him what platform I'm running on and explain his argument is moot simply because I can make the claim that it works in Linux (it does). I plead for real help and not this "it works for me on a platform you're not running" crap.

Zoom responds with various things, but one line stands out as the reason to end support right then and there: "That being said, we do not have drivers for Windows 7" (copy and paste)

~~~~

How it should have gone:

I explained my problem and the platform I'm using it on (netbook running Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit)

Zoom responds that this platform is not supported at this time.

~~~~

I've done technical support over several years. I tend to end up being the one taking over support requests like this to try to salvage the request and get the answer the customer needs. As a tech support agent, I hated support reps like this because they are a pain to deal with even on the other side of the support request.

My recommendation for anyone else in the market for a bluetooth dongle is to make sure it does NOT contain BlueSoleil hardware. Stick with Toshiba or Broadcom devices.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger  BOTTOM

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Rants » Zoom support is useless
 Page 1 of 1