FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Register Register 
The Honourable Souls
A Social Linkshell on FairySylph (FFXI) & Mysidia Ragnarok (FFXIV) 
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Rants » Pankration and You: Enjoyable Pasttime or Nuisance?
 Goto page Previous  1, 2 The time now is Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:08 am 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Sylverfox
Cute & Deadly

I'm not turning my filters off for this one stupid thing SE has made, if it's made for a past time to kill time when your not doing anything then fine but don't start it up at an event when you are supposed to be focusing on the job at hand and not taking a picture then worrying if you got the picture or what ever it is you wanted or not. I'm still highly disappointed in brining Pokemon to FFXI.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Davy
Crawler Trainer

I'm with Sylver on this. Honestly, if people really wanted to play pokemon, they should just get a DS and Pokemon whatever it is. What I hate the most are those people who are like PvP? Go play "whatever." Time for me to be the jerk and go "If you want to play Pokemon, go play Pokemon."

TOP View user's profileSend private messageAIM Address  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Kade
The Duke of San d'Oria

I have not tried getting a monster or even bothered looking up how to do it, and until i get very bored i doubt i will, as i never much liked pokemon or games similar to it to begin with.

But after reading a few posts i feel i must point something out, and explain my own feelings on end-game and why i have never been overyly concerned with end-game also.

From what i have read and heard in my 3 years of playing FFXI, it seems like end-game your expected to do a job, and if you try to have fun playing the "game" and your viewed as not doing your job and not taking end-game seriosuly 100% of the time, then people will get mad at you.

That is why i will never join an end-game ls, i already know it would feel too much like my real-life job to me and not a game i would have fun at.

Pankration related stuff at an end-game event as bought up in this topic is a prime example. The people doing the pankration stuff are having "fun" playing a "game".

Granted, the people that would like to get the event done after thier hours of long work putting into end-game have a justification to be a little upset, but they also forget that sometimes a new fad comes along and people will get distracted enjoying the new fad, becausing it is bringing a new aspect of fun for the into the game but eventually the fad will pass and people will get back to bussiness as usuall.

There is a time or place for everything, and yes people sometimes use poor judgement as to when they should do stuff but it also seems to me that people allow themselves to not have "fun" playing the game by not understanding that this fad should eventually go away, and a few weeks of not taking end-game 100% serisouly by everybody will go away. If it does not go away, then yes there is a problem, but there should be leniency the first few weeks.

This is also a good way to weed out the ones who will not take eng-game as serious as it needs to be also, if they continue to not focus, which in the end is for the greater good of the end-game ls as a whole.

This is only my opinion, and i could be wrong, as i stated before i have no real end-game experience, so please do not take it personaly if it feels like i am putting words/situations into your mouths, and if it does my apollogies as this was not the intention.

I personally applaud ffxi for introducing pankration as it has/will provide more fun for a select group of the playerbase that have/will enjoy it, thus providing more opportunities for fun in a game, which in the end is what playing a game should be about, not feeling like a job.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/KadeFFXI?ref=profile

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Sylverfox
Cute & Deadly

My endgame shell is fairly relaxed and we have a lot of fun and goof off all the time but when we are doing things like Kirin, one slip up and you can get screwed. There are times for having fun even in endgame and we have fun a lot. Certain situations though it is not appropriate to still be in goofing off mode, you have to know when is the time to be serious about what's going on.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Ninelives
Le FantŰme de líForums

I still can't figure out why Tetra Master isn't available in game to play for situations where you're lfp, bored, or want to challenge a friend without completely logging out of FFXI. Granted I liked the card game in FFVIII much better than Tetra Master, but it would be a fun little diversion that didn't interrupt the game flow at times.

There are times to be taking snapshots, and there are times not to be. If you've committed yourself to an end-game LS or function, then you're also committing yourself to perform at your very best for everyone else in the shell. I've seen wipes in Dynamis caused by things like people forgetting to do their job in order to lot on an item, and it annoys me that they don't respect my time in the shell, my exp, and the time/exp of others. If I see someone trying to snapshot Dynamis Lord during that fight, I'm thinking point loss at the very least for doing so.

Taking snapshots of end-game mobs is fine, but do it on your own time, not the shell's that you committed to trying your best for.

TOP View user's profileSend private message  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Kade
The Duke of San d'Oria

Like i said, a time and place for everything, but at the same time your over reacting to what happened.

To say that pankration should not be in ffxi when there are people enjoying it, including those that do not do end-game is selfish and wrong, and those people could just as easily say go play another single-player game where only you have yourself to blame.

Like it has also been said, it's a fad and will go away, it's human nature for people to want to do the new/cool thing, it's human nature for people to get upset when things don't go 100% the way they should or are expected. I have had to learn this lesson myself during my years of playing ffxi.

An example is the recent DM run, due to RL i had to leave before the 3rd and succesfull run, and now i will have to wait patiently for the next run if/when there is one. I worked just as hard as anybody to get there, and i was disaapointed i did not get to go on 3rd run when I could have if we all showed up on time, but instead of getting pissed off about it like i used to do and would have been wrong for doing, i just asked if we could do again, when that did not happen, i got over it and moved on.

I know i am also a minority, and might see things a bit differently as i play ffxi mostly to have fun and goof off, and yes, as nine said, your expected to perform at your best in end-gmae, hence the reason i will never join as it would not only not be enjoyable for me, but unfair for others if i do not comit to 100% performance which i don't want to do.

I know i still have a tendancy to over react to many situations in-game and in real life, unfortunately this is one of my huge character flaws, and i have been trying to work on that.

Point is, they were wrong for doing it during Kirin, but at the same time based on my own personal experiences, if you let it get to you, the only person's enjoyment of ffxi it will hurt in the end is yourself, and knowing that i have let that happen to myself many times, i hate to see it happening to others Sad .

Last edited by Kade on Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Jondaras
Tarogpan Terrorizer

LET ME SHOW YOU MAH POKEMANS

Iím the Phantom
Iím the Phantom
Iím the Phantom

TOP View user's profileSend private messageAIM Address  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Kade
The Duke of San d'Oria

I'm not so sure we want to see Jon's pokemons..... Wink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Dunador
Chuck Norris Wannabe

Quote:
I'm not so sure we want to see Jon's pokemons.....

I agree...

Sylver, how often do you change your sig? Its like a revolving door of sigs....
GW2 - Retired: Dunador Serestil - Mesmer - Maguuma
Steam Handle: Dunador (Profile Link)

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Sylverfox
Cute & Deadly

I change my signature when ever I feel like it. The mood hits I make a new one poof I have a new signature.

I have mostly enjoyed the new additions FFXI has made for some reason this one I don't care much for. I never said take it out OMG it sucks and must never be spoken of again, what I'm saying is during a crucial time, like Nine pointed out, is not the place for such a contraption, that is my personal opinion no one else's.

I'm not going to sit here and get on anyone because they think it's fun, but I am going to be upset with those that choose to mess everything up for everyone else because they are too focused on the "new cool thing".

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:26 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Squitt
電 話 武 士

And thus the appropriate use of the rant forums! :>
None of the leaders in Sky or Dynamis came out and said that people had to stop using those photo capture thingies. So if people who don't appreciate it want to rant, they choose a good forum for it.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Nama
Ovinnik Overlord

I do it while seeking pt. Funny little fact according to ffxiclopedia a rng with sharpshot up supposidly has capture rate of 100%. I dont think takeing pics gets you hate ive taken pics of alot of things solo and have never been attacked.

Every Drop of Sweat in Training is One Less Drop of Blood in Battle

TOP View user's profileSend private message  BOTTOM

The Honourable Souls Forum Index » Rants » Pankration and You: Enjoyable Pasttime or Nuisance?
 Page 2 of 2